Talk

Advanced search

Is it quicker to get a duplicate driving licence or a passport?

(12 Posts)
ViciousSquirrelSpotter Thu 21-Jun-07 12:38:05

Can't find counterpart driving licence, passport has run out. Need one or the other for ID. Which is quicker to get, anyone know?

whomovedmychocolate Thu 21-Jun-07 12:39:29

Driving licence - definitely. I got mine in three days!

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Thu 21-Jun-07 12:41:18

OK, am on the case, thanks

lemonaid Thu 21-Jun-07 12:42:40

If you say you've lost both bits of the driving licence (not just the counterpart) then you can phone up and get a replacement over the phone and it arrives very quickly. Getting just the counterpart replaced is more tricky (or was a few years back) but still quicker than a passport.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 21-Jun-07 12:43:16

Costs £20 though doing that. If you get the form from the DVLA website and send it, it's free for the counterpart bit.

lemonaid Thu 21-Jun-07 12:50:46

Just depends whether time or money is more important (not sure quite how quickly the squirrely one needs the ID and whether a couple of days will make a difference).

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Thu 21-Jun-07 14:06:22

Definitely time atm

Will check the DVLA site

Don't really want to get a passport done atm because I want to look less fat - they last for 10 years and I don't want the photo to haunt me!

Bouquetsofdynomite Thu 21-Jun-07 15:14:46

Yes it was a lot cheaper and quicker to get both bits of driving licence replaced for me when I lost the paper bit. Weird.

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Thu 21-Jun-07 15:15:51

dammit, that means I'll have to get a new photograph for my licence.

Bouquetsofdynomite Thu 21-Jun-07 15:26:13

No, they print out a duplicate picture on the new card from their records.

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Thu 21-Jun-07 15:37:34

Oh good.

So I should ask them to replace both then, not just the counterpart? That's quicker is it? But more expensive?

lemonaid Thu 21-Jun-07 16:19:28

Yes, quicker but more expensive. You have to say that you've lost both bits, too -- just fancying replacing both anyway cuts no mustard.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: