Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you take your baby/small child to a Saturday class?

(22 Posts)
DixiePixie Wed 20-Jun-07 19:17:05

Hi

Sorry, wasn't sure where best to post this one. I'm thinking of splashing out for training with a music with babies/small children type franchise with the hope of running classes to make a bit of income. I have a lively 10mo DD and doubt my ability to baby wrangle/teach at the same time, so was thinking of doing classes on Saturdays when DH is around to care for DD.

I know that most things like this happen on weekdays and wonder if people would take children to a class that was on a Saturday or if it being a weekend would put them off - so thought I'd ask the opinion of you lovely MNers .

Thanks for your thoughts

fryalot Wed 20-Jun-07 19:18:03

personally, I wouldn't

Weekdays are the time that I do stuff with the littlies, and weekends is family time when dd1 isn't in school and dp is home

cba Wed 20-Jun-07 19:19:40

No, I wouldnt either, have three children and the two eldest would not want to do this. And as they have been at school and nursery all week feel family activities and time is more important. Sorry!

DeviousDaffodil Wed 20-Jun-07 19:21:12

Working mums of under 5's might go for it.
When I only had DS1 I used to take him to that gym class franchise on a Sat morning it was very popular. Lots of dads went too ( bit of dadddy bbonding!)

Brangelina Thu 21-Jun-07 11:19:09

I would! I work ft and am constantly bemoaning the fact everything interesting for small children happens during the week and not at weekends. I would be so glad if someone sensible came along and set something up for the weekend. We're not all SAHMs FGS!

Lolly68 Thu 21-Jun-07 11:40:47

I would definately go for it. I also work FT and it annoys me that everything for mothers and toddlers happens during the week!

Aloha Thu 21-Jun-07 11:41:47

I used to take ds to a music class on sat am - and it was HEAVING! Loads of dads shoved out of the door by exhausted mothers wanting a bit of quality time to themselves

portonovo Thu 21-Jun-07 11:50:32

Weekend would definitely put me off - we keep Saturdays free for family.

Can appreciate the dilemma for working parents, but even then presumably their children have been at nursery/childminders or whatever, so it just seems yet another day of taking a small child to yet another place/activity.

Having said that, I do know a few mums who deliberately choose weekend activities, so there may be some scope.

Can you do some market research in your local area, see what your local parents actually want? A short form or questionnaire distributed via the library, toddler groups, playgroups, doctors' surgeries etc might be useful. You might be pleasantly surprised at the response!

HenriettaHippo Thu 21-Jun-07 11:54:43

No, I wouldn't. I am wondering myself whether to sign DS1 up for swimming lessons on a Sat am, and have decided not to. It would mean our Sat mornings are taken up by that every week, and I don't want his life to be that structured that he has an organised activity every day!

But then I only work 2 days a week, so I can see the argument from ft working mums.

jellybellie Thu 21-Jun-07 11:57:09

Dh and I both work full time and would probably look at going to something like this on a Saturday - it is a good time for some dad bonding too. At the moment we take ds swimming on a Saturday morning because our local pool has started doing parent and toddler sessions on sat and sun mornings - you have to get there early and queue to get in because they are so popular!

purpleduck Thu 21-Jun-07 12:01:41

We (well, dh!) used to take dc to Tumble Club on a saturday morning. Not all the time, but now and again. He said it was usually all dads!!! I think it would depend how you market it - may be nice for dads while mums have a lie-in? Weekend dads perhaps? I don't think I would depend on weekends though as I think it would be quieter. hth

Aloha Thu 21-Jun-07 12:03:32

Honestly the little children's saturday morning music class near where I used to live was rammed to the rafters, it really was. I think the key thing is, keep it as a drop in, so people don't feel all their weekends are booked up forever.
It really was very busy. Working parents who wanted to do an activity with their children, single parents who wanted a bit of social stuff out of the house and dads pushed out by weary mothers who went back to bed wth the papers while dad did some bonding!

Aloha Thu 21-Jun-07 12:04:14

And it is a nightmare trying to get into Sat am swimming near us too. I think there are parents desperate for a weekend activity with kids.

zookeeper Thu 21-Jun-07 12:06:16

I would definitely - go for it - weekdays are too busy for me - what a good idea

Aloha Thu 21-Jun-07 12:08:18

The dads used it as a bit of a social. They didn't see much of each other in the week, so would go to the music group then sometimes to the pub after!

Ceolas Thu 21-Jun-07 12:09:08

I used to teach such a class and it was very popular. I got positive feedback on a few points:

1) Working mums get to do an activity with their children (most are during the week)

2) Class on Saturday morning leaves rest of weekend free and let's face it - who get a long lie with a toddler?!

3) Dads can take their children as Aloha says - gives mum a bit of breathing space.

You can only try it

DixiePixie Thu 21-Jun-07 22:35:45

Thanks so much for your feedback folks . Really glad to hear some positive comments regarding Saturday class experiences (also appreciate the feedback from those of you who wouldn't want to do weekend classes). I'm getting a clearer idea now and feeling much more positive about the whole idea

Skribble Thu 21-Jun-07 22:47:00

Might be an idea to do some target marketing towards dads and working mums. Adverts in big businesses staff rooms could drum up some interest or in workplace/ college creches. Dads are often out-numbered at classes like this and a class aimed at them might be a good niche to go for.

LucyLu1981 Thu 21-Jun-07 22:58:50

I am going back to work in August and have been looking for things to do with DD on the weekend so I think its a great idea - I know she will be getting activities at nursery but think she would also enjoy something with me! Also I would think that if me and DP take her together that does count as quality family time??!

cat64 Thu 21-Jun-07 23:30:22

Message withdrawn

DixiePixie Mon 25-Jun-07 16:00:29

Great idea Skribble - thanks for that! .

Really glad to get so many positive comments - now need to get off my backside and make it all happen!

kslatts Mon 25-Jun-07 16:20:48

I think it would be really popular, I am a WOHM and used to take my dd's to tumble tots on a saturday morning, it was always really busy and they had a waiting list for the saturday class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now