Talk

Advanced search

Need your advice please oh wise ones

(8 Posts)
sidge Wed 20-Jun-07 12:52:46

A friend's husband is laying a carpet for us at the weekend as a favour. He isn't expecting any payment but we'd like to give him some money as a thank you. How much do you think is reasonable??? (Don't want to offend him by offering too little and don't want to embarrass him by offering too much!)

Obviously we will also be giving him a few beers as well - once the carpet is laid

Cheers in advance.

notthewabbit Wed 20-Jun-07 12:53:43

£20? Don't know how much it counts to have done professionally.

CountessDracula Wed 20-Jun-07 12:54:16

I would just get him a gift

milkchocolateStarryStarryNight Wed 20-Jun-07 12:55:20

How big is the room?
I spoke to a fitter from a well know carpet/lino shop, and on a 3mx3m bathroomm (yes I know it is tiny) he would charged £40.

sidge Wed 20-Jun-07 13:11:22

Milkchocolate - it's a huge room but quite square (not too many fiddly bits), I don't know what the going rate would be normally.

Countess - I thought money rather than a gift as then they could take their children out for the day?

Argh, decisions decisions! Thanks for the input. Feel free to keep it coming

purpleduck Wed 20-Jun-07 13:37:08

maybe a gift certificate for their favorite restauant as well as an offer to babysit?

throckenholt Wed 20-Jun-07 13:39:29

I would have said £20 - sounds like a reasonable amount for an hour or two of his time.

milkchocolateStarryStarryNight Wed 20-Jun-07 14:00:44

£20 sounds fine. Especially if together with a bottle of something...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now