Talk

Advanced search

Fine Artist

(9 Posts)
Loveache Tue 05-Dec-17 14:56:03

Is anyone or does anyone know anyone who makes an actual living out of art? (Painting, in my case).

It's the only thing I've ever really wanted to do. Am a good painter and would like to try to make it professionally, but have no idea if it's even possible.

lilygirl81 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:03:33

It's tough. My husband is an artist and to be honest, we live off my wage with anything he makes as a nice extra. I do have a few people I know who are finally breaking through, but it does seem to take a good 5-10 years for things to take off.

JoJoSM2 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:04:59

I know one guy. He mostly paints abstract commissions for interior designers to go with their schemes.

I reckon it’s just s case of the right marketing, taking commissions and making yourself as visible as possible online and in different areas and art galleries.

Of course your skills and talent are important too but I’d say they are way more good artists than there are financially successful artists.

LittleLights Tue 05-Dec-17 15:07:15

Depends on what you paint, how good other people think you are, what you use to paint with.

Have you ever sold anything before?

RestingGrinchFace Tue 05-Dec-17 15:09:55

It's more about networking and marketing than talent. Have you been to art school? In addition to teaching manual skills they teach you how to network, how to run an art show etc. In the meantime it's a good idea to try your local galleries and also independent cafes/pubs. Pop in and ask whether they are interested in representing new artists/hanging you are as wall art and taking a commission if someone buys it. Take a folder with a few samples of your best work (if your work is bulky then take some high quality photographs along with a few smaller paintings) to show them. You can also try entering local art competitions for anetures and attending painting classes/groups to meet other artists so that you can build connections in the art industry local to your area.

Loveache Tue 05-Dec-17 15:24:38

Thank you. I did not go to art college although it was an idea at the time.
I have sold, but we're talking pocket money prices.
I'm very good at portraiture and have also made some larger surrealist pieces.

LittleLights Tue 05-Dec-17 16:21:48

Pics needed grin

Lancelottie Tue 05-Dec-17 16:25:35

I know painters who run painting classes, painters who write books, and painters who run (or get their long-suffering daughter to run) painting holidays. Never yet met one who relies on the painting alone.

Loveache Thu 07-Dec-17 00:14:06

Thanks for the tips. A local artsy pub is going to take some of my best. Here's hoping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now