Talk

Advanced search

Money left to me in a will - ideas needed!! :-)

(8 Posts)
nappyrat Thu 02-Nov-17 20:18:02

I was - very surprised - to be left 1,000 pounds in an old friend’s will. Very bittersweet but I want to do something great with it rather than just add it to the general pot.

I’m fairly ok-off so I don’t need the money. But I also don’t want to just fritter it.

My ideas so far as to what to do with it include:

New sewing machine (not all of money)
Holiday with my daughter (4, I’m a single Mum)
Invest it for my daughter’s future

Any other ideas? smile

Laststop Thu 02-Nov-17 20:19:13

Hoilday or at least a nice day out for both of you

cathyclown Thu 02-Nov-17 20:31:35

Buy a nice piece of jewellery for yourself to remember your benefactor by. Then have a little holiday with DD.

That's what I did when a dear friend left me 2,000 quid, never expected it. Bought myself a beautiful Longines watch and had a little break away. With the balance I bought some Premium Bonds.

Enjoy, that is what your friend would want.

Itsonkyme Thu 02-Nov-17 20:33:51

I can't think of anything better than Cathyclown

nappyrat Thu 02-Nov-17 21:02:28

Oooo that is a fab idea Cathy!!! There’s a piece of jewellery I’ve wanted for ages........😁😁😁😁😁😁

FaithEverPresent Thu 02-Nov-17 21:02:49

I got some money when my Grandma died. I spent it on a decent digital camera, a few bits of kit and a short course on how to use it. It felt like a nice way to spend it because it’s meant we’ve got lots more family photos now to treasure - we have a fair few from when I was growing up and I really love looking back over them smile

cathyclown Thu 02-Nov-17 21:46:14

@nappyrat.

Go for it. And you can leave the piece of jewellery to DD eventually, hopefully many moons away. An heirloom!

Best of luck.

Ceesadoo Fri 10-Nov-17 14:27:49

I like the idea of investing it for your daughter. Or maybe investing half and putting half towards a little holiday for the two of you. I’m sorry for your loss sad Your friend must have loved you very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now