Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Party Invitation Phrasing?

(7 Posts)
flutterworc Sun 08-Oct-17 11:12:47

DS due to turn 5 and we are taking some of his friends to a local attraction. As he has just started school, he’s reeled of two dozen names of brand new friends that would near-bankrupt us if we were to take them all, on top of some friends whose parents I know.

Ideally 10-12 kids would be right. We have to pay for our tickets in advance and don’t want to do so for kids who aren’t going to arrive - but also don’t want to presume they’re not coming as they haven’t RSVP’d, only to have them turn up!

Can anyone think of a polite way to phrase an RSVP request which basically boils down to “If you don’t text/contact me by X-date, we’ll presume your child is not coming and invite someone else”?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 08-Oct-17 11:14:42

Can't you write the invitation with a bit missing, like the time or the location. Then they have to rsvp so they know.

flutterworc Sun 08-Oct-17 11:17:46

Ooo, possibly. Will call that Plan B so if some magic phrase doesn’t rock up I have that instead!

xyzandabc Sun 08-Oct-17 11:22:01

Something like 'I will be purchasing tickets on X date so please RSVP by y date, I will confirm each rsvp so if you don't hear back from me, please try again or catch me in the playground'.

Sequence Sun 08-Oct-17 11:22:48

"RSVP by X date" should theoretically be enough, but you could add "as we need final numbers in advance please" (so do most people arranging a party TBH but it might emphasise it a bit more). Don't make criticisms in advance, as it's off putting to get an invitation which is telling you off before you've even finished reading it, and sounds like they don't believe you'll be polite enough to reply.

AliPfefferman Sun 08-Oct-17 11:24:00

We will be purchasing tickets for the event on X date. Please reply by then if your child would like to join us.

flutterworc Sun 08-Oct-17 11:27:07

Thanks folks! @AliPfefferman - that’s perfect! Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now