Talk

Advanced search

Not sure how I feel about being asked for donations to religious charity whilst in hospital?

(7 Posts)
oxcat1 Sat 07-Oct-17 11:34:56

I am currently in a North London hospital, and I have noticed that each meal comes with a leaflet and prepaid envelope. This leaflet hopes I get well soon, and then asks for a donation toward the cost of providing the Hospital Kosher Meals Services.

It provides a website link to donate, ad also space for credit card details or cheques.

Apparently ‘the hospitals reimburse us for the cost of the food, but we still need to raise funds to pay for our freezer warehouse, refrigerated van and other overheads.’

I am on the fence about this. Of course patients must have their catering needs covered, including all religious diets. However, I am not Jewish and have not requested a Kosher meal. This leaflet has come with everything I’ve ordered, from toast to jacket potato, and I just feel a little uncomfortable about inpatients being asked for money again and again, whilst potentially quite vulnerable. The leaflet does say optional donation, but at the same time, It is intimidating receiving a request for payment, and I fear some patients may feel they have to pay, in order to continue to receive the ‘nutritious, tasty’ food.

Is this common? Has anyone come across it in other hospitals? Just a bit uneasy about it somehow?

oxcat1 Sat 07-Oct-17 12:53:30

I guess that I am also uneasy from a charity perspective. I notice that there is a charity number on this leaflet so HKMS must be a registered charity.

However, if i did choose to make a donation towards te provision of kosher meals in hospital, I would like to think that my money was going towards just that: ‘the provision of kosher meals to Jewish patients, across Greater London’, not paying for kosher meals to be provided to those who don’t need them?

specialsubject Sun 08-Oct-17 19:59:54

Kosher costs more and it is not unreasonable for those that want it to pay extra.

But this isnt your problem. Just ignore.

oxcat1 Mon 09-Oct-17 16:38:45

Thanks for your reply.

Given it is a charity, why are they providing kosher meals - which cost extra, you say - to non-Jewish patients?

If I donated, I would assume the money was used were Best needed. I don’t feel comfortable with acutely unwell (I am in ITU) patients being asked for money in case some patients feel pressure or obligation.

specialsubject Mon 09-Oct-17 19:39:10

Are all meals kosher there? Given the complexities, it may be easier for the hospital just to run one kitchen - there may be a majority of Jewish patients as you are in n w London.

Surprised though, it would seem more cost effective to run non kosher and buy in kosher pre prepared meals.

samG76 Tue 10-Oct-17 15:15:24

special subject - HKMS do deliver the meals, hence the "refrigerated van". I'm not aware of any kosher hospitals.

As for "donations", I don't think anyone makes or is expected to make donations while in hospital. The point is that when they get home they send something to HKMS.

I've got to say that the difference is no longer as much as it used to be - my father-in-law used to get really envious looks from other beds when he got his meal...

specialsubject Tue 10-Oct-17 19:51:11

In that case the op won't be getting a kosher meal by default, and there seems no reason for her to feel pressured to donate.

Glad the sensible approach is being taken!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now