Talk

Advanced search

Saw a snake yesterday....still have goosebumps

(3 Posts)
Melly Wed 19-Jun-02 09:42:47

Arriving home yesterday lunch-time after a shopping trip, was just driving up the lane before you get to our house and saw something which I thought was a branch lying in the road. It then moved and I sat in the car waiting to turn into our drive watching. It crossed the lane and disappeared into the hedge. I did get quite a good look at it and I think it may have been an adder? It was sort of greyish colour and had markings on it's side, like a triangle I think. Yuk.......I don't think it was a grass snake but I'm no expert. It really gave me the willys and dh didn't help when I spoke to him on the phone last night because he said that they can kill a dog (we have three dogs).
Anyone know about adders - I know very little and am feeling quite nervous about this.

WideWebWitch Wed 19-Jun-02 10:22:14

Melly, there's some info here about adders. Death by snakebite in the UK (assuming you are in the UK) is *very* rare.

Melly Wed 19-Jun-02 11:33:12

Thanks for that wickedwaterwitch, that site was really interesting (even though I don't like snakes). Having looked at the pictures, I now think what I saw yesterday was actually a grass snake. I didn't realise they had markings and assumed it was an adder.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: