Advanced search

Would i gwt a council house?

(24 Posts)
talysia Thu 15-Jun-17 18:29:20

I have never thouth that i will need help from council.but my lanlord told me i have 2 months to move out becouse he is selling the now paying 550 for 3 bed.i have 2 kids girl (2) and boy (8).me and my hubby have been looking for place but 3 bed houses are about 625 to 695 and we just cant afor that to pay.i have been crying and so strest last 2 weeks.friend told me to go to council maybe they will help.i have apoitment after 3 weeks with you think i have any chance to get something? Thanks

NomDePlumeReloaded Thu 15-Jun-17 18:46:27

You need to get on their lists. Some council have long waiting lists and narrow criteria. Others have shorter waiting lists. Get on the list asap if you are at risk of being made homeless in a matter of months.

mangomay Thu 15-Jun-17 18:48:32

Get yourself on the housing list asap, take a letter from your landlord stating that you'll be made homeless on x day.
You won't be entitled to a 3 bed though, intil your eldest is 10. In some areas it's 13, just depends on your LA.

Theresnonamesleft Thu 15-Jun-17 18:49:26

Make sure you are fully aware of your rights.
The right to have proper notice and how this is to be served. The verbal communication from your ll isn't binding.

You also don't have to allow viewings. The ll/agent might tell you different. But honestly you don't.

talysia Thu 15-Jun-17 20:09:57

There alredy has been 4 viewings on my house in one week.and there will be more next week.its already on the market.and anather thing is-i have not reseved any latter from lanlord in writing about me beeing evicted.i have been waiting and waiting but so far nothing. My almost 9 year old asks me every day - mums do we will become just hurts.i have nothing to say to him.

Str4ngedaysindeed Thu 15-Jun-17 20:11:34

Have you got an assured shorthand tenancy? He cannot just kick you out! You need 2 months notice form the end of your tenancy. You must go to your local council for advice.

Str4ngedaysindeed Thu 15-Jun-17 20:12:33

Sounds very dodgy. Honestly as soon as you have seen someone who knows what they're talking about, you'll feel a lot better. Try not to worry

ppleasebob Thu 15-Jun-17 20:19:52

You may be told by the council to stay put in the house until the landlord has a court order to remove you.

It sounds absolutely ridiculous but I know a few people it has happened to. Obviously depends on the council but they consider it as making yourself 'intentionally homeless' otherwise, and have no obligation to help you.

We're currently in temporary accommodation after our private letting move went spectacularly wrong, and we're waiting to be assessed on whether we did this intentionally hmm

RedastheRose Thu 15-Jun-17 20:21:39

Go to citizens advice and get their help. You can only be evicted once the proper procedure has been followed. Also read your tenancy agreement, unless there is a clause in there that allows reasonable access for viewings usually only in the last month of your tenancy then you don't have to allow anyone in to view the property. A tenancy agreement gives you the right to exclude anyone else including the landlord from the property (subject to the other clauses in the tenancy).

ppleasebob Thu 15-Jun-17 20:22:02

Sorry, just reread your other post.

If the landlord still hasn't given you notice in writing, that goes in your favour.

Definitely get down to your local housing office for advice as soon as you can.
Good luck!

specialsubject Fri 16-Jun-17 16:15:18

Please read the how to rent guide on gov.UK and also the info about eviction.

You need to get informed about your rights. Sounds like you may not be and have a dodgy landlord who is playing on that.

timeismovingon Fri 16-Jun-17 16:19:51

OP get yourself down to your local CAB - if you can't get there you can email in or call. They will speak to you and help you. In the meantime have a look here:

talysia Mon 19-Jun-17 15:01:48

Im trying to stay as calm as posible for my kids.i dont want them to feel unsafe and have a stres on still waiting for my apoitment with council.i really hope that they can help me some how.

PersianCatLady Mon 19-Jun-17 15:24:07

Please get some advice from Shelter, here is the link to their website -

Near the bottom of the page there is a place where you can enter your postcode and it will tell you where your local Shelter office is or you can call them on -
0808 800 4444

talysia Tue 04-Jul-17 15:09:28

Just went to council appoitment today.and it looks that they wont be able to help me.becouse it will take longer to get me in sistem than i would need to the timw they can ofer me somwthing i will be at least 2 months on the street with kids.i went home and cryed my eyes out.i have been looking for private rentals but its inposible becouse there is no priveat rentals in my town at the in full panic.

PatriciaHolm Tue 04-Jul-17 15:17:53

Talk to shelter, and CAB. If you haven't been served proper notice on your tenancy, you aren't under legal notice to leave yet-your
Landlord needs to follow the proper legal process to do this, not just tell you he needs you out.

specialsubject Wed 05-Jul-17 20:06:03

Have you had a formal section 21?

The council will do everything to fob you off. Please get fully informed of the process by which a landlord ends a tenancy.

PersianCatLady Wed 05-Jul-17 20:44:30

Just went to council appoitment today.and it looks that they wont be able to help me.becouse it will take longer to get me in sistem than i would need to the timw they can ofer me somwthing i will be at least 2 months on the street with kids
Did the council actually say that they wouldn't help you and that you would have to live in the street for two months??

talysia Wed 05-Jul-17 23:19:53

They said look for private rental.i said there is non i have been trying so hard.looking online and calling friend lanlords buying local newspaper.but there arent any.and the lady said but it will take longer for council to help you then you would be evicted.i said what can i do with 2 kids then.i cant be on the street.and response was that they will try there best but its looks like they wont be able to help me. So in my eyes its meens be on the street with 2 small children.

PersianCatLady Thu 06-Jul-17 00:02:48

Have you contacted Shelter to get them to give you some advice and to help you to deal with the council??

Shelter information about getting help from the council when you are homeless -

Shelter emergency housing rights checker -

specialsubject Thu 06-Jul-17 08:59:23

Eviction takes four months to ten months from the expiry of the valid section 21, which we still don't know if you have. Is your council really so bad that you can't even get on a list in that time?

talysia Fri 07-Jul-17 08:32:26

I got a section 21 on 24th of june. With agensy saying that one day thosen meter.its still 23th august that i need to move out.i think my council is that bad.i know people that are got a council house in just 2 weeks.and they had a house already.a good house.they had money and other i think sistem is unfair.

tobeornottobe1 Fri 07-Jul-17 08:49:48

Once your evicted you take your papers to the council. They will put you in emergency accommodation as you have children until they find you somewhere. You wont be on the streets.

specialsubject Fri 07-Jul-17 10:18:21

This website has mangled your post, but you don't need to move out on 23rd august even if the section 21 is valid ( did you get all the other documents when you moved in?)

The system is bad but you need to get tough. Escalate with the council and also read the guidance that shelter give.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: