Talk

Advanced search

Changing your name by deed poll

(12 Posts)
LilaBard Sat 27-May-17 12:38:11

Maybe silly to ask this on MN but I've never been married so don't know the ins and outs of this.

The situation is my dad is an only child and all his relatives bar one uncle on his deathbed are unreasonable assholes. We have been barred any contact with uncle due to some lies my (frankly crackers) GM told in the lead up to her own death. They say it is my uncle's decision but we know this isn't true as he has visited us on his own many many times since, until he wasn't able to do so any more.

Basically I hate these people and am fed up with people asking me if we are related (we live in a small place). I am considering changing my name to my mother's maiden name but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this? I mean changing your name not due to marriage or divorce.

Is it hard? Costly? Was it worth it?How do you even go about it?

blastthatdog Sat 27-May-17 12:46:29

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk

Costs around £30 depending on how many copies of the certificate you need

LilaBard Sat 27-May-17 13:33:28

Thank you blast x

I'm also wondering if I'll have to pay a fee for changing things like credit cards, driving license, mortgage etc?

DM is not keen on me changing names, says they don't own it, but not sure I can bear to have same name as them any longer. It isn't a common name, everyone I've come across who has it can be connected to me within a couple of generations. Mum's maiden name likewise but much much less common and less arseholes.

rizlett Sat 27-May-17 13:40:28

You don't need to pay to change your name unless you want to. Anyone is lawfully allowed to change their name at any point as long as they let the relevant people know.

freedeedpoll.org.uk

I did this one for free - printed out copies, got them signed and took to the bank and changed my name on gov.uk etc etc.

It was all very simple and really quick.

The only thing is changing your passport as you will be charged for that. I still have 6 years on mine so I've left it in my old surname for now - this is fine as long as you always book flights in your old name - and I'll change it when I renew it next.

blastthatdog Sat 27-May-17 13:40:36

No you shouldn't have to. I didn't anyway. The only one that may is the driving licence if you need to update your photo as well. If it's just change of name then it's free smile

WatchingFromTheWings Sat 27-May-17 13:45:04

With the bank etc you just go in with the deed poll and they'll change it for free. I believe name change on driving licence is free, so long as you return the old one and the photo doesn't need changing.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 27-May-17 13:49:42

I did it recently, it doesn't cost a penny.
You can print your own, ignore websites that charge.

I waited until my passport was due for renewal so I didn't incur any charges. smile

LilaBard Sat 27-May-17 13:52:11

Thank you all so much. Lots to consider but great to hear from people who have some first hand experience of it x

Lolimax Sat 27-May-17 13:56:00

My adult DC's just did it through the official way. You can just swear an oath at a local solicitors and send off that certificate to change documents although the Passport Office can be a bit arsey. DS had to do it through the courts as he was joining the army. The forms are online but you need to take the person who says they've known you to the solicitors to swear.
The forms aren't the easiest, the kids came back 3 times! But all done now, passports and driving licences changed.

AnthonyPandy Sat 27-May-17 14:29:55

*My adult DC's just did it through the official way. You can just swear an oath at a local solicitors and send off that certificate to change documents although the Passport Office can be a bit arsey. DS had to do it through the courts as he was joining the army. The forms are online but you need to take the person who says they've known you to the solicitors to swear.
The forms aren't the easiest, the kids came back 3 times! But all done now, passports and driving licences changed.*

The free way is the legal way.

This annoys me so much. If you want to chuck money away, fine, but don't encourage others to do it too.

OP, it's free as detailed by posters further up the thread.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 27-May-17 14:32:12

I followed the instructions on this UK Gov site.

The best way is to change your passport first then you can use that as ID to change everything else.

LilaBard Sat 27-May-17 15:14:17

Thanks again all. Don't have a current passport but perhaps that makes it easier, I could do deed poll and then apply for a new passport. Parents not keen on it and I know as an adult I don't need permission but would prefer not to upset them too much. Will have to try and talk them round a bit. Driving license up for renewal in January anyway so that's handy enough too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now