Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever been on holiday alone? If so where and what did you do?

(11 Posts)
iwishthiswaseasier Tue 25-Apr-17 22:44:30

So it's going to be my birthday soon and my dd will be away and my partner has recently passed away. I don't want to stay home alone I know I will feel so miserable.

My birthday is mid week so I can't arrange a night out partying and I know if I go for dinner with my family then go home alone I will feel really down.

I'm thinking there must be some type of activity or holiday that I could go to as a single person any ideas?

I'm not very sporty so nothing too difficult confused

abbey44 Tue 25-Apr-17 22:50:58

I know it's a bit of a cliche, but what about a spa trip? An overnight somewhere lovely where you'll be looked after and spoiled a bit...I've done that and it's very good for the spirit.

I've also taken it to the extreme and had a two-week stay at La Source in Grenada, by myself, and that was something else! There were quite a few other singles there and we had a whale of a time. You could be as sporty (or not) as you wanted.

Or what about a cookery holiday either UK or abroad, or watercolours - there are quite a few options, depending what takes your fancy.

Good luck anyway & I hope you find something you'll enjoy. smile

ZaraW Fri 28-Apr-17 12:42:04

I travel by myself to European Cities. Usually do bike trips and food tours. Have met some great people and have often gone out to dinner with them after the tour. It's much easier to meet people by yourself it's an adventure and you have the freedom to do whatever you want.

iwishthiswaseasier Sat 29-Apr-17 19:01:39

Abbey - a spa might be a bit too quiet and leave me with too much time alone to think and reflex and feel sad about my partner not being here.

I like the other idea but I think I might be limited on budget! I will look into cookery holidays smile

iwishthiswaseasier Sat 29-Apr-17 19:02:35

Zara - is the food tour like a package thing you book? Or did you just book a city break knowing the food your would be on then?

Chasingsquirrels Sat 29-Apr-17 19:09:12

iwishthiswaseasier have you joined any support groups or have any friends that you could have a night away with so you won't be alone?

I'm in a similar position, my DH died last month and my birthday is the end of next month - although my boys will be here. But then it would have been our 1st wedding anniversary the week after and my boys will be with their dad that week and I know I'm going to find that very hard.

I've not even though about organising something - so I'm not being any help to you here - sorry!

Orangedaisy Sat 29-Apr-17 19:10:47

I learned to sail with sunsail in the Caribbean (using the money from selling my engagement ring-exh had an affair so thought I deserved it grin). Was fab!

Ginslinger Sat 29-Apr-17 19:11:28

I went on a walking holiday in Morocco with Exodus - it was many years ago when DH was more involved with golfing and DS2 was on a summer camp and I felt really lonely. I loved it.

Orangedaisy Sat 29-Apr-17 19:11:36

I'm not sporty either, was just an excuse to sunbathe and drink rum punch really,

LouiseBrooks Sat 29-Apr-17 19:16:59

I've gone to Greece on my own several times. It's incredibly safe and people are helpful and friendly but don't bother you. I sightsee, sunbathe, and do all the things I'd do if I was there with another person.

Polichinelle Sat 29-Apr-17 19:55:32

Yes. I've been to Italy, Vietnam, France and a few other places on my own. You soon get used to it and it's very enjoyable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now