Talk

Advanced search

Lost Jellycat Platypus and inconsolable DD

(49 Posts)
Sycam0re Fri 21-Apr-17 00:00:52

Oh dear...

We lost my 7 year old's favourite cuddly toy 3 days ago & she is distraught. She was given it as a baby & it is very important to her. Now she is subdued & crying inconsolably as if she has been bereaved.

I feel like crying too as it was my fault for not stopping her from taking Platypus on an outing. I always have in the past but was tired & in a hurry this time.

So I googled 'Jellycat Bashful Platypus'' only to find that they have been discontinued & there are none for sale on eBay. I have tried all sorts of websites, links etc. but no luck.

Does anyone know, please, where I might be able to buy a secondhand Jellycat Bashful Platypus? Or do you know of anyone who owns this Platypus who might be willing to sell it?

I can't think what else to do. I know it's 'only a toy' but to her it's a best friend. 😢 Thank you.

Mehfruittea Fri 21-Apr-17 00:04:07

Is it this? Just so we know who we are looking for? grin

PossibiliTea Fri 21-Apr-17 00:04:35

Aw noo I've just had a look online and can't find one even on amazon or American eBay! Sorry sad if I come across anything will let you know- I was trying to find a flamingo that was discontinued why do they do that!

Sycam0re Fri 21-Apr-17 05:04:05

Oh, thank you so much for replying! It's the middle of the night but I can't sleep because bedtime was so distressing last night...

Yes, Mehfruittea, that's the very Platypus. Thank you also, PossibiliTea, for looking. I've tried everywhere I can think of & am just feeling so bad that I failed to put my foot down (always have done until now...) & stop my daughter taking her Platypus out.

She says that she hates herself for letting Platypus down & is planning to hold a funeral for him today...😭

Why, oh why did I not stop her taking him?

TheDropBear Fri 21-Apr-17 05:07:56

You could try posting on local Facebook pages saying where and when you lost it just in case someone has found it?

FrannySalinger Fri 21-Apr-17 05:12:00

Yes, whereabouts were you?

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly? Your poor dd. Poor Platypus.

Nousernameforme Fri 21-Apr-17 05:15:51

where did you go? Their lost and found might take a day to pick it up worth phoning in the morning see if the cleaners have handed it in. Same with any public transport they all have lost and found. Facebook local buy and sell groups if you contact admin will let you do a lost post see if anyone's found it.
Tbh I don't think replacing it will work now she is 7 and it's not the platypus but the fact that it was hers that was the special thing any new one won't be hers.
My children are all flighty things and never attach for long to one thing, so I have no advice on how to help her cope, but I wish you luck in finding the original

Sycam0re Fri 21-Apr-17 07:05:13

Thank you everyone. Unfortunately we were at Disneyland Paris, meant to be a big treat...

We were going to the princess restaurant for lunch & she wanted to take platypus to meet the princesses. Once there, she forgot about platypus (so did I) as it was all so distracting. He might have fallen under the table. I'm not sure if we had platypus when we left or not, we went on one ride then back to our hotel. I only realised in the evening, searched our hotel room & went back to the restaurant & the park's lost property the next day. I checked again just before we had to leave to come home. I've also sent an email to the lost property to follow it up but not heard back yet but I have a bad feeling that he hasn't been handed in. It was very busy there.

I have sent an email to the Jellycat manufacturer but I don't think other mums in the same situation have had much luck.

Thank you for the suggestion about Facebook - not sure - do people use Facebook in France?

Nousernameforme - you may be right in that she says that she is worried for her platypus. She's really worried that a new owner won't feed him & might force him to be bandaged up in hospital games that he wouldn't like. So she might not be helped that much by a different platypus. On the other hand, platypus had such a soft face & bill that the feel of him was very comforting.

FrannySalinger Fri 21-Apr-17 07:13:19

There are specific Facebook pages for and about Disneyland Paris, worth posting on all of them?

Ratbagcatbag Fri 21-Apr-17 07:16:21

Can you also ring the restaurant directly?
I agree on posting on the Disney land Facebook pages.
Good luck.

INeedNewShoes Fri 21-Apr-17 07:23:00

I would have thought that Disneyland is quite a good place to lose something! They'll definitely have a lost property system in place. It might take a day or two for the platypus to find his way there so I'd phone a couple of times a day. Good luck!

PanannyPanoo Fri 21-Apr-17 07:24:54

Keep checking Ebay, I replaced my dd jelly cat doll after a month of checking, use other words in the description too- It may not be called a platypus in the listing - not the most common of creatures - some people may just put toy, teddy or even anteater or something random.

Broken11Girl Fri 21-Apr-17 07:33:44

She says that she hates herself for letting Platypus down & is planning to hold a funeral for him today... Oh bless her. She sounds great. Kids need to learn to deal with loss at some point. She might write an Ode to Platypus one day smile

INeedNewShoes Fri 21-Apr-17 07:48:30

That's a really good point Pananny - try describing it as a duck as well when you're asking lost property or searching eBay. I don't know that I would have known that it's a platypus blush

Sycam0re Fri 21-Apr-17 08:24:21

Thank you so much everyone for all your great suggestions. I will definitely try the Facebook Disney pages & phone Disneyland/restaurant again. Good idea too to use a less specific term like 'toy' or 'duck' when searching.

I hope this awful loss will help with future losses & not traumatise her.

I haven't seen any platypus for sale yet.

IHaveAToiletBrush Fri 21-Apr-17 08:24:58

Have you tried ebay Australia or goggle jellycat platypus Australia? The May have more luck

PossibiliTea Fri 21-Apr-17 09:41:34

Bit of a long shot but I'm going to town today I'll have a look in the charity shops just in case x

Sycam0re Fri 21-Apr-17 11:49:06

Thank you - yes, I think I have tried eBay Australia & googled but will try again.

That is very kind of you, PossibiliTea to try your charity shops.

I will keep looking...

JigglyTuff Fri 21-Apr-17 12:08:01

my-disneyland.disneylandparis.co.uk/contact-us.html Have you tried contacting the park by email?

Also might be worth posting here: www.fan-de-sport.com/sosdoudou/sosdoudou_V3/php/index.php3?page=endroit&dpt=75

which is a French lost and found toy site

PanannyPanoo Fri 21-Apr-17 15:05:51

How is your little girl? There is a Charlie and Lola episode about them finding a little boys rabbit and they look after it until its owner comes. Might be worth a look on you tube. So instead of it being dead thinking that another little girl has found it and is looking after it might help her sadness.

There are quite a few other platypus toys on eBay and Amazon. Who knew they were so popular! Maybe she could choose her ones cousin?

PossibiliTea Fri 21-Apr-17 15:24:01

I'm so sorry no luck sad

I'd definitely try the restaurant again, I'll keep an eye out online etc. X

Sycam0re Fri 21-Apr-17 19:00:08

Thank you all very much.

I will definitely try the French links that you so helpfully sent, JigglyTuff. I have contacted the park by email & phone today but no luck. It's impossible to phone the restaurant directly but all lost property is supposed to go to the main Lost Property.

Thank you for the Charlie & Lola idea, PanannyPanoo. I will look into it.

And thank you PossibiliTea for looking.

I managed to distract my daughter today with a play date so the funeral didn't go ahead. I keep looking at eBay but it seems that this platypus is quite rare.

Yes, I had no idea that Jellycat is so worldwide & popular. I should never have let her take platypus on holiday, let alone into the park - I can't believe that I took the risk - so extremely foolish. As my dh said, it was a 'banker' that it would go missing.

Thank you all for your ideas & help which are greatly appreciated.

PossibiliTea Sun 23-Apr-17 15:35:02

Don't blame yourself these things happen! And I bet that you would have had a very upset little girl if she hadn't been allowed to take it with her!

I know this doesn't sound helpful at all but could you maybe take her out to choose another toy she loves, or treat her to another jellycat toy and have it waiting for her as a surprise with a letter written to her or something?

Sycam0re Sun 23-Apr-17 22:21:54

Thank you PossibiliTea for being so supportive - yes, I only gave into her taking Platypus out after explaining that it wasn't a good idea etc. but she resisted & I could see time evaporating which led to my really bad, impulsive decision. But I have felt awful guilt for not being more authoritative & for letting myself lose track of him.

She held a 'Goodbye Platypus Ceremony' in her bedroom last night. It was her idea & she insisted that we sit on chairs while she conducted the proceedings. She dressed up in her beautiful bridesmaid dress because she wanted to look her best for Platypus, next we all had to write down what we liked about Platypus & stick these notes on the wall, then she played her toy piano & sung a sad song about him & finally she read out an eulogy that her sister had written before collapsing in tears. It was desperately sad. I'm still crying about it now!

I think the likelihood of her platypus turning up now is very low so I am still scouring ebay around the world. We have thought about the possibility of adapting another Jellycat toy to turn it into a platypus or of trying to make a similar looking one. But your suggestion of letting her choose a different Jellycat toy is also a good one if we don't manage to create a similar creature.

What a trauma...I just feel so frustrated that I can't locate another Platypus - surely there must be some somewhere or are they all being bought up by collectors, I wonder?

Oh well, back to eBay...

ilikepinacoladas Sun 23-Apr-17 22:39:26

Long shot but could you ask a question in the customer questions of the Amazon page. I think it will email lots of people who have bought one and maybe one might sell it to you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now