Talk

Advanced search

Baby carriers. Suggestions on what to get/avoid.

(12 Posts)
SecretNortherner Sat 08-Apr-17 21:47:59

Looking for a baby carrier for my dc, he's 7 months and only 16lb, but we want a carrier that will last till he's bigger. I've tried a sling with him when he was a baby but not sure on getting one for him now he's older. Don't think he would be impressed with having to look at me all the time as he likes to have a good nosey at what's going on.
Does anyone have suggestions on what's good or even what to avoid.
Thanks.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 08-Apr-17 21:49:28

Do you have a sling library or meet near you? I went to ours and was surprised by what suited us in the end, wasn't at all what I'd planned to buy.

SecretNortherner Sat 08-Apr-17 21:56:27

I've been to the sling library when he was a new born and they had plenty of fabric slings. I was looking for more of a fixed carrier - the sort you can wear on your back? And that has the padded support in.

Redyellowpinkblue Sat 08-Apr-17 21:58:43

We used a Tula carrier with dd, both baby and toddler sized. Soooo comfy and she loved going on our backs. Highly recommend. Your local sling library should stock one, mine did smile

FaithAgain Sat 08-Apr-17 22:02:53

Ooh we loved our Tula(s), we had a baby and then toddler one. They are semi-structured carriers, soft slings with buckles. I tried an ergo and didn't like it. I also had a wrap sling (I forget the name) but that annoyed me because the straps were really long and dropped on the floor. I tried several at the sling library (worth a try) but the Tula won hands down.
I saw a camper one today. DD is 4 and hasn't needed to be carried for ages but oh it was so pretty, I wanted it!

Bellaposy Sat 08-Apr-17 22:04:02

We have an Ergo 360 for our now 10 month old and we LOVE it and recommend it to everyone.

welshweasel Sat 08-Apr-17 22:04:02

I liked the Tula, ended up with a beco soleil, which is similar to the Tula but was a better fit on me. Hated the connecta and the ergo.

stoplickingthetelly Sat 08-Apr-17 22:07:54

We've got a manduca as a small fabric carrier and the deuter kid comfort 2 as a big backpack one for walking up hills etc. Both are great.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sat 08-Apr-17 22:15:16

I've had a variety, but the best for me when DD was 7 months was the Connecta. Really easy to get in and off, folds up very small in the bag when not in use, and it must have been comfortable as she slept in it often.

mangomama91 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:24:24

I've hired a connecta from my local sling library a few months ago for my daughter who was 9 months at the time? And only about 14lb and she loved it and I loved it so easy to use and comfortable. I haven't got round to buying one yet but will definitely be borrowing it again for our holiday to Cornwall next month smile

icclemunchy Sat 08-Apr-17 23:38:59

Most libraries will have a selection of soft structured carriers (ssc's) and other options like Mei tais alongside woven/stretchy wraps.

When we run sessions we don't tend to show parents with squishes the ssc options because they don't tend to fit so well so it's deff worth speaking to your library.

All the options mentioned by pps are good ones but they all fit differently

Teabagtits Sat 08-Apr-17 23:41:20

I loved my Mei tai with dd1 and I sleep bought a connecta the other night so hoping I like that as much. We had a baby bjorn more structured carrier but everyone got too hot in it and I found it hurt my back more than the Mei tai,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now