Talk

Advanced search

What's with "bless ya"

(7 Posts)
fessmess Wed 01-Mar-17 12:22:39

Is it my age? (Nearly 50) I keep getting this reply when talking to shop assistants/receptionists/bus drivers etc always preceded with an "aw". Am I the only one who finds this IMMENSELY condescending? Where's it come from? Suspecting, as it's always from a younger person it is my age!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 01-Mar-17 23:00:18

Where are you? Ireland?

tinglyfing Sun 05-Mar-17 00:15:40

It literally brings me out in hives when someone says it. Condescending in the extreme.

paxillin Sun 05-Mar-17 00:35:06

It's been lovely in my thirties and now early forties not to be patronised as a young woman anymore. Do I have to prepare to be patronised again for my age and sex soon?

Fuck that! How do you react to that, just so I can prepare a few stock answers for the event?

ItsReginaPhalange Sun 05-Mar-17 00:39:39

I get this all the time and I am 31. I hate it, my friends say it too!

tigerdriverII Sun 05-Mar-17 00:43:38

I've had "Awww bless" from jumped-up young women.

Totally patronising.

I smile and think that I have a great, long term DH, gorgeous DC and earn around 10x their salary.

They can patronise me as much as they want. shock

paxillin Sun 05-Mar-17 00:47:00

I'm trying to imagine the situation. What happens, you go to the receptionist asking "where can I find Mr Smith from Miller & Co?" and they say "bless ya, office 22"? Or "how much is the new iPhone" and they say "bless you"?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now