Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Automaticdriving lessons? (specifically Red Driving School)

(10 Posts)
mrsgendry Tue 28-Feb-17 16:15:41

Hi all, wondering if I could get any advice/reviews on here please? Google is being a bit of a minefield. I am going to have automatic lessons with RED Driving School, so if anybody has any previous experience with them, particularly with automatic lessons, I would appreciate your input.

For background - I HATE driving, I'm not really comfortable being in a car generally. The thought of trying to drive sets off my anxiety and I don't want to learn whilst on Diazepam. I also don't have anybody around me who I could drive with between lessons/was never taught anything by any family/friends.
I had manual driving lessons a few years ago and it was traumatic. I am self admittedly a terrible driver with 0 coordination and ended each lesson with a panic attack. My issues were mostly the gears, clutch and roundabouts (and my appalling instructor who would often grab the wheel to turn onto roads I wasn't ready for/would tell me stories about where people got run over/shouted at me because his son thought I worked someone I didn't(?!)/didn't turn up for my final few lessons I had paid for, then left the company).
I need to drive, I have a three year old who is starting school next round, his dad doesn't drive either and I've started a new job where there is progression but driving is basically a must.
I am really struggling to find independent instructors local to myself and the only suggestions I get are driving schools.

and before I get the usual 'you can only drive autos' 'Autos are more expensive' etc.... I comfortable with my decision and if I really wanted to do manual after then I will, but I firstly want to be confident and safe on the road.

Confuzzlediddled Tue 28-Feb-17 16:17:48

Interested in this too, dh has finally got the courage to learn to drive but is severely dyspraxic so an auto seems a better option for him..

ExplodedCloud Tue 28-Feb-17 16:21:19

Ignore anyone disparaging autos. Technology has changed and automatics are becoming run of the mill. If that's what it takes to get your confidence up then do it. Good luck.

ineedwine99 Tue 28-Feb-17 16:21:20

Following as i'm in this situation too. I'll only be driving out of necessity so auto is fine. Tried manual, hate it.

ExplodedCloud Tue 28-Feb-17 16:23:38

*should say I learnt in and have always owned a manual but DH's last 2 cars have been autos and I swap between them happily.

mrsgendry Tue 28-Feb-17 16:47:12

Glad I'm not the only one! I've asked on local FB groups and have constantly been met with a brick wall of 'just learn manual'

roundtable Tue 28-Feb-17 16:50:40

I learned to drive in an automatic a couple of years ago. It's changed my life. Much easier now the kids go to various clubs and I have to travel for work now. Might do manual one day but I can drive my car and easily hire an automatic so I don't know if I'll ever bother.

Mine was with an independent driving instructor though. Good luck and go for it!

MollyofTheFolly Tue 28-Feb-17 16:55:20

I finally plucked up the courage to learn to drive after finding an automatic instructor locally (not Red) I had two terrible attempts previously with manual cars (didn't get anywhere near a test!) and it had become a huge issue. I took my time and passed first time, it is so much less stressful than manual driving! I got the usual comments about wasting my money, just go manual etc etc but I have had no trouble finding cheapish reliable auto cars. I was 35 when I passed, best thing I ever did. Now I've been driving a couple of years and feel I could probably manage manual but don't see the point. Good luck, honestly, you will feel so proud of yourself when you pass and you will wonder how you managed before!

Fiona170972 Tue 28-Feb-17 16:57:18

Yes I used RED driving school. Bit of background. I'm 43 now, had my first lesson at 20 failed test at 21. Stopped then started again at 27, failed again, both times with different instructors. Left it for years then had my son at 38, moved up a huge hill. Decided now I had my son and another on the way, I had to pass my test. So I booked some lessons with Red, never looked back. I got a really nice patient man, and finally passed!! Iv never really enjoyed driving but 5 years on, my confidence has grown. I'm so glad I done it with school/nursery runs. My only regret is waiting years to pass.

mrsgendry Tue 28-Feb-17 18:28:09

Thank you for your positive experiences! You've all given me a boost.
I'm late 20s, out in the sticks - there's only so long you can be a busw*nker.

And tonight just proved how much I need to drive as some marvellous arsehole purposely splashed my 3 yr old on the way home angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now