Talk

Advanced search

Bratty Step Daughter - What to do

(5 Posts)
Raffles1981 Tue 28-Feb-17 08:10:14

Hi Guys - Not sure this is the right place to put this but here goes. My partner is older than me. He has two children from his marriage - the eldest (his son) is 27. His daughter is 23. His son is no problem at all. His daughter though, well, she is being a total brat. She has depression and anxiety. She is currently at Uni, after a break, trying to finish her degree. She has a dog, that lives with us, and she adores this dog. Now, since I came into their lives, she has always been indifferent towards me. She didn't speak to me for the first year and it has taken me years to get, what I thought, was a semi-decent relationship with her. We announced our pregnancy to them the other week. Since then, she has referred to my bump as ''This thing'' talked about the high possibility of our baby having Downs Syndrome and are getting ''Genetic tests'' done. She text me yesterday asking if I let her dog off the lead. I explained, no, because I cannot run after him (he can be little tinker sometimes and make a break for freedom!) she replied ''Good, just checking my dog is not in any danger'' I replied ''Don't worry, the life growing inside me is more important to me than anything, so I won't be putting myself in any danger, so the dog will always be on the lead'' I got no reply to that. I do what I can for this girl. I drove her to and from college when she lived at home, I pick up shopping for her, even when I don't need to go to the shop, I cook specific meals for her, knowing she prefers them to ours - she is vegetarian. I have never tried to replace her mother, I have never tried to be her ''friend'' but I do make the effort. None of it matters. Now, we knew she would not be happy about the baby, but to say the things she has said? Am I in the wrong here? I should not have snapped back at her yesterday and just ignored her comment, as I have always done. I never rise to her, despite her trying. But of course, being pregnant, I feel more vulnerable/angry and I just snapped. What do I do? I am sure I am being a little too sensitive. Should I just ignore and accept she will never be happy? Am I being the unreasonable one here? You women are always so honest, so I am putting this up, ready to take on board your comments.

ApricotCrush Tue 28-Feb-17 18:08:56

Raffles, I didn't want to read and run. I'm not really qualified to answer your question, but I think you'll get a response if you post this in www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable. flowers

laidbackmummy13 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:57:16

Ignore her. She's being a spoilt brat. As an adult she should know better.

Just concentrate on the baby and ignore her. But be prepared for worse once baby is born.

Madbengalmum Tue 28-Feb-17 19:00:55

Leave her to it, i have wasted too much time trying with bratish kids. She might grow up eventually, but i wouldn't spend any further time worrying. Put yourself first.

Juliancopescat Tue 28-Feb-17 20:18:42

Stopped reading after you used the word tinker. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now