Talk

Advanced search

help!...im concerned about a friend of mine as she nearly died yesterday morning :-(

(37 Posts)
Biglips Wed 28-Feb-07 17:56:55

as her sister sent me a text last night whilst i was putting my dd into bed. its stated

"This is XXXXXX's sister XXXXXX. Letting you know XXXXXX nearly died this morning. She took an overdose of paracetomol. I found her asleep in bed (yesterday morning). Ambulance took her to hospital. She is in ward now. On a drip. Very lucky"

What do u think of this???? as a few times ive rcvd a few texts saying that she wanted to kill herself etc etc and the day she say that everything is fine. She is going thru a hard time atm as she had divorced her hubby of 6 yrs this month, her new Fiance is a knobhead! as they've met a year ago and already she had been to court with him twice over him fighting with other men, he had done time - 5 yrs, a year ago she lost her unborn twins she was 9 weeks pg and her mum nearly died a month ago as she had a hip op and she didnt wake up for ages

What do i do? as she is not a truthful person as always tells lies about 90% of everything

Can u have an over on paracetomol?

Biglips Wed 28-Feb-07 17:57:50

plus she got 2 boys age 4 and 7

doots Wed 28-Feb-07 17:58:39

Well if the sister sent the text, is she a liar too? What a nightmare.

Biglips Wed 28-Feb-07 17:58:44

soz - can you have an overdose on paracetomol?

lulumama Wed 28-Feb-07 17:59:16

yes you can

and it can be really dangerous, if it does not kill you , then it can damage your liver severely

has she lied about the things you have said here? if not, that is enough to unbalance anyone and lead them to try to take their own life

i think if this is the case, she needs a lot of help and support

tortoiseSHELL Wed 28-Feb-07 17:59:27

V easy to OD on paracetamol - I think 10 or 12 is enough.

Biglips Wed 28-Feb-07 17:59:43

no her sister is not a liar at all but the writing in the text is very similair

shall i ring her my friend? (not the sister as i dont have her no anyway)

geekgrrl Wed 28-Feb-07 18:00:12

you can but it doesn't kill you instantly - apparently you feel ok for a couple of weeks and then your liver packs in

it doesn't sound very likely tbh

lulumama Wed 28-Feb-07 18:00:48

phone the hospital, see if you can track her down, say you are her sister or something

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 28-Feb-07 18:01:25

Yes you can and it's not very pleasant. Paracetamol OD often doesn't show severe symptoms initially but it can cause damage to the liver.

BoolieTC Wed 28-Feb-07 18:01:32

with geekgirl here, I'd be wary.

Biglips Wed 28-Feb-07 18:01:38

the things ive said what ive typed on here the only thing i know its true is her divorce, losing her unborn twins - her words), and her boyfriend as he told me himself

scatterbrain Wed 28-Feb-07 18:01:54

Yes you can very def overdose on paracetamol - in fact iirc it is one of the worst as if you are not dead you have very badly buggered up your liver (or is it kidneys ?) So you can end up with long term health issues too.

She sounds like she could do with some support tbh rather than doubting her !

Aloha Wed 28-Feb-07 18:02:44

Why do you think she is lying? It is very easy indeed to overdose on paracetamol. It can make you very ill at the time, and a tragic thing about it is that often people die afterwards from irreversible liver damage, and by that time they desperately want to live.

lulumama Wed 28-Feb-07 18:03:09

then the way to find out is to call the hospital and see if she has been admitted

and if she is a pathological liar, there is probably a complex reason for that too

you need to decide if you want to support her come what may, lies or not, or want to end the friendship

littlelapin Wed 28-Feb-07 18:04:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoolieTC Wed 28-Feb-07 18:06:53

Taken from pharmweb
"There are often no symptoms in the first 24 hours following overdose, although there may be mild nausea and vomiting. In a large overdose liver function deteriorates leading to jaundice, confusion, and loss of consciousness. Death is rare but when it occurs it is due to liver failure"

Paracetamol overdose does NOT lead to unconciousness.

Sounds like you are being spun a yarn.

scatterbrain Wed 28-Feb-07 18:09:13

Not necessarily - it affects diff people diff ways ! I know someone who took a paracetamol o/d and was found two hours later unconscious. She regained consciousness after about 3 days and dies two weeks later of liver failure.

Carmenere Wed 28-Feb-07 18:11:20

Even if she is lying it is obviously a cry for help. the poor cow has had a hell of a lot to deal with and needs some support. Ring the mobile/hospital and find out what the situation is.

Califrau Wed 28-Feb-07 18:11:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoolieTC Wed 28-Feb-07 18:14:52

Re read op and confused, who is the liar? I took it to be the sister, if the sister then unlikely to be true. If the friend then was the text deffo from the sister?

Sorry for being a cynic just have had problems with a compulsive liar over the years.

I agree help is needed for lying. Hope it wasn't paracetamol as it is a very nasty thing to OD on.

ledodgyDave Wed 28-Feb-07 18:16:07

What phone did her sister text from? Was it he rown or your friend's?

Blu Wed 28-Feb-07 18:25:38

She may have taken other things alongside the paracetamol that knocked her out - like drink.

Call back and see if the sister answers..if your friend answers tell her you will come to the hospital now - as she says she is on the ward.

Biglips Wed 28-Feb-07 18:42:52

ive just rang her but it was ringing out and the v mail came on

Her sister texts to me using my friends phone. ive not heard since yesterday and im unsure whats my friends surname is now as she just got divorced so unsure if she had kept her married surname or back to her maiden name.

i wish i cud support her but she lives so far away and she is in college full time plus she sees her fiance every weekend without fail. Shes is deaf too.

Chloe55 Wed 28-Feb-07 18:48:49

Why would her sis text you something so serious? I'd have thought if she thought it necessary for you to know then she should have rung you and spoken to you directly. It's weird to text this info imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now