Talk

Advanced search

Please could someone help me with a bit of a dilema?

(13 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 28-Feb-07 13:30:34

I belong to a fund raising committee at DS school

We have a fund raising evening each year that is a meal and entertainment.

We did agree on having a comedian coming to do a show, but for various personal reasons he has pulled out, {I do agree with his reasons}

Anyway so several members of the committee have been SEPARATELY being busy thinking and organizing a different entertainment.

1. Judy has organized 2 bands who are prepared to come, 1 of them is definate {charging £800} iyswim

2. I have said I could do a quiz with the subject being relevent to the committee

3. Hilary & Kate who are the chairpersons of the committee have BOOKED Hilary's sister who is an actress in the west end atm. {she has also done loads of top shows over last 20 years}{she is charging £350}

I know Hilary's sister I think her show will be deffo brill

BUT

Judy has been emailing with me about the band and she is VERY VERY ANGRY and says she is going to leave the committee and she wants me to choose her band over Hilary's sister

I am stuck in the middle, if I had to choose I would choose Hilary's sister.

But what do I say to Judy ?

Please think of an excuse apart from the money, I couldn't really care about me doing a quiz cos that can be done anytime

JackieNo Wed 28-Feb-07 13:32:52

Is it just up to you to choose - can't you have a vote for the whole committee to take part in, then it's not just your responsibility? Have it all out in the open?

RTKangaMummy Wed 28-Feb-07 13:35:58

yes there is going to be a committee meeting but not until April unless another one gets called urgently

Kate/Hilary + 2 others are all going to be a function next week and so I am sure it will come up then

But judy won't be there I don't think.

But judy is wanting me to agree with her today and Hilary/kate have sent an email round talking about hilary's sister

And they want my comments as well

ThisFrogIsGonnaWhoopYouAss Wed 28-Feb-07 13:38:12

Well they are two totally different types of nights aren't they. The band would involve dancing (would you need a licence to have them?). Hilary's sister's show would be similar in event to the comedian, in that everyone would be paying attention to the performer, whereas the band would cause/enable people to wander off / chat.
Could you not tell her that next year you'll have a band?
Sorry, that was no help at all was it!

JackieNo Wed 28-Feb-07 13:38:13

Hmm, difficult one. Can you just say that it's a complete dilemma and you don't want to offend anyone so the best thing is to wait and see what the committee decides?

MerlinsBeard Wed 28-Feb-07 13:40:16

tell her the actress is cheaper for the commitee

KezzaG Wed 28-Feb-07 13:42:12

If you have a band do you have to have a license for dancing? I may well be grasping at straws here.

Or do you always have a band, in which case could you just say it will be nice to have something different this year and you have never had an actress before?

I think if she is mad whatever you say might not go down well.

Or option C - nobble the band

fryalot Wed 28-Feb-07 13:44:52

Before the licensing laws changed, you DEFINITELY needed a license for dancing. Dancing being more than two people jigging at the same time. You also needed a license for a band of more than two players.

I don't know about now, but it would give you a good get out as presumably, you don't have a license.

BoolieTC Wed 28-Feb-07 13:45:32

If the actress is successful could you not get away with saying that its a one off opportunity?

Explain that she usually is busy and that it is a rare chance to have someone different?

You can book the band another time.

RTKangaMummy Wed 28-Feb-07 14:04:50

Thanks guys

We have a licence for drinking - Hilary and Kate organize licences

We haven't had a band or an actress before

Yes I think a good point is that as Hilary's sister is currently in a west end show the advertising could say CURRENTLY rather than used to be

So I could then say we could have the band next year

I think I will deffo tell judy that I am stuck in the middle

I knew I would get the answer here

Thanks guys

fryalot Wed 28-Feb-07 14:58:01

licence for drinking is DIFFERENT from licence for dancing and bands.

Under the new licencing laws, if your premises is licenced for dancing/bands then it would be ok. Do you know if this was applied for? If not, you are not licenced for either of these activities and would technically be breaking the law.

Mirage Wed 28-Feb-07 19:46:51

squonk is right.I just asked dh & he said exactly the same thing.

I'd just say that it is a one off chance to get a well known actress in & that they should make the most of the opportunity.Plus the cost difference would be a boost to funds.

RTKangaMummy Wed 28-Feb-07 20:20:48

Thanks guys

I think given that the school puts on fund raising evenings several times each term

including discos etc.

I will ask in an email to Kate and Hilary

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now