Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So, my bosses, bosses boss has asked me if there is anything he can do to convince me to stay

(24 Posts)
VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 27-Feb-07 21:50:54

Which i find a bit creepy, but, what would you think?

Its weird because there have been some redundancies in the last few weeks and folks asked to cut hours.

fryalot Tue 27-Feb-07 21:51:58

well, is there anything he can do to convince you to stay?

If so, tell him. He'll agree to it or he won't but you're no worse off.

SherlockLGJ Tue 27-Feb-07 21:52:00

Whats creepy about it ??

KTeePee Tue 27-Feb-07 21:52:59

They obviously want to hang on to you - do you want to go regardless or can you be persuaded?

mummytosteven Tue 27-Feb-07 21:53:23

why creepy? do you think he has ahem dishonourable intentions? I'ld be inclined to take it as a nice compliment to a valued employee.

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 27-Feb-07 21:59:04

gotta go home, but will be back.....

hunkerdave Tue 27-Feb-07 23:41:03

Well, is there?

twinsetandpearls Tue 27-Feb-07 23:41:59

I would be flattered rather than disturbed.

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 27-Feb-07 23:43:43

Well, I have always found him to be a bit, well, creepy. I dont know, I just get a bit of a vibe from him. That makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. He seems like a really nice guy, but, oh I dont know.

But, every day since I resigned he has mentioned my reconsidering, what a shame it will be (all alien to me anyway), and then tonight....

"Can we convince you to stay? What can we do - is it hours, find a different job here in a different department? What can you do, what are you good at?"

So, I said that I can do a lot, and asked if he'd seen my CV. He said he hadnt, but he would go off and get a copy.

It seemed quite needy for a nationwide organisation that has just cut a load of hours and made redundancies!

I'm being silly, arent i?

Ellieump Tue 27-Feb-07 23:44:53

i'd be really pleased!

hunkerdave Tue 27-Feb-07 23:48:20

If you get a vibe from someone, it's not necessarily silly.

I used to have a teacher who gave me a similar vibe - he never did anything, but when I went back to school after I'd left, he made a very thinly veiled pass at me

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 27-Feb-07 23:51:01

Yes, that's what is worrying me. He's not outwardly a lecherous sort.

I'm probably grossly misjudging him...

jampot Tue 27-Feb-07 23:53:49

does he fancy you vvqv??

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 27-Feb-07 23:58:11

Oh I dont know....lol!

HappyDaddy Wed 28-Feb-07 09:39:11

Get your calculator out and give him a shock.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 28-Feb-07 11:27:42

I'm not sure I am following you there HD....?

jampot Wed 28-Feb-07 11:30:22

i think he's thinking of stonking payrise

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 28-Feb-07 13:31:39

oh i see.

I thought he meant type 5318008 on it or something....

HappyDaddy Wed 28-Feb-07 13:32:44

Boom boom.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 28-Feb-07 19:23:22

He's clearly gone and looked at my CV

He came up to me this evening and said "So, you worked at xxx for 10.5 years did you? I'm still working on it and trying to find a way to work around it, dont worry".

KTeePee Wed 28-Feb-07 19:35:12

Why have you decided to leave btw?

HuwEdwards Wed 28-Feb-07 19:37:10

always trust your gut feel VVV....

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 28-Feb-07 19:43:50

I am leaving because my DP has been 'mentioning' for the past couple of months about how little time we get together. Which is very true. He's not suggested I get another job at all, but, it has been on our minds but it has been a case of "needs must". However, there was also the issue that DD is going to school in Sept so that would have mean re-arranging my hours to suit, and probably childcare.

My mum's last assistant left recently and her work didnt get any responses to an ad, or an agency they used. So she suggested I might want to, better hours, better money, closer to free childcare etc.

I dont know how working with my mum will work out, I know i'll put 110% into whatever happens (but, she is difficult sometimes....).

At the moment, now the General Manager has started saying all this, its a bit confusing really. I doubt they'll be able to come up with as good an offer, but, its very flattering (and a bit creepy as i said), as a receptionist, for the General Manager to be making such an effort to get me to stay.

KTeePee Wed 28-Feb-07 20:17:33

Well, maybe what you could do is decide on what terms you would be prepared to stay - maybe term-time working, reduced hours, etc and see if they will go along with it? (Don't know what field you are in so don't know if that is practical?)

You are very brave thinking of working with your mother - I would last less than 5 minutes I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now