Talk

Advanced search

Tufnell Park/Kentish Town - anyone live here/know it?

(17 Posts)
blissfullee Tue 27-Feb-07 20:15:21

Does anyone know this area well? If so, what are the pros and cons of living here? Are there any good schools in the area and where do you tend to hang out with small children? I'd be grateful for any feedback.
Many thanks

blissfullee Wed 28-Feb-07 08:04:04

bump

frogs Wed 28-Feb-07 08:15:03

We're just moving to Tufnell Park (hopefully).

There are good schools, and in Kentish Town as well, but not all houses are in the catchment, so do your research carefully.

There are plenty of little parks around Tufnell Park, but only 15 mins walk from Hampstead Heath.

It's a lovely area, with some beautiful houses. No obvious downside that I can see.

hth

Bozza Wed 28-Feb-07 08:19:01

I lived in a bedsit in Tufnell Park once. I chose it because it was Zone 2.

Bozza Wed 28-Feb-07 08:19:38

Was very close to the prison and not far from Holloway Road.

frogs Wed 28-Feb-07 08:27:59

Ah yes, Bozza. We're planning to be closer to the salubrious end of Tufnell Park, near the tube.

blissfullee Wed 28-Feb-07 08:45:01

Thanks Bozza and Frogs.
Frogs - can I ask why you have chosen Tufnell Park? Friends already there? Affordable housing? Transport links? It's just I know absolutely nothing about it and want to get a 'feel' for the area.

Bozza Wed 28-Feb-07 08:47:08

It was OK walking distance to the tube, but was also OK for Holloway Road tube which was better sometimes dependent on where I was working. Also the only time in my life I have lived in walking distance of a waitrose.

Bozza Wed 28-Feb-07 08:48:00

blissfullee - I don't think I have been at all helpful other than in bumping your thread. It was 1996 when I lived there - things might have changed.

blissfullee Wed 28-Feb-07 09:01:08

Any thoughts very welcome, Bozza!

twelveyeargap Wed 28-Feb-07 09:08:34

I lived 3 mins from Tuf Park tube until last November. We moved there to get DD into Parliament Hill girls secondary school (and then moved again, but that's another story!)

I liked the area. I hear there are some good primary schools; Eleanor Palmer and I think Torriano. Yerbury is very good I think. I have a friend whose kids go there.

My neighbour was a supply teacher in Acland Burghly mixed comprehensive and she says it has some behaviour issues, mainly because the boys greatly outnumber girls - about 60:40. I guess this might not be an issue for you for some time.

I didn't have any small children, but my friend who lives off Tufnell Park Road has a brood and says it's a lovely area for small children. We did look to buy there (we were renting) but you don't often get large family homes coming onto the market. We're now in Muswell Hill.

Hope that helps.

twelveyeargap Wed 28-Feb-07 09:10:31

I think Tufnell Park has is sometimes referred to as the "nappy valley" of North London, so it must be very like Battersea/ Clapham and have lots of families with young children.

Sarah Cox lives there. She's always out with daughter Lola on Hampstead Heath.

frogs Wed 28-Feb-07 09:55:16

Bliss, our initial search area was defined by transport links, (a) for my dd1's journey to secondary school and (b) by my dh's need to get to central london. Tufnell Park has good tube and bus links, so works well. We didn't want to go as far out as Finchley, as it feels a bit suburban to me.

We found a house we liked that ticks all our boxes, and that we could just about afford. But it has got massively more expensive since our offer was accepted.

Houses the other side of Holloway Road are much cheaper, but not in the catchment area for the popular schools. Acland Burghley is considered a desirable school, though it wouldn't be my preferred option tbh.

merryberry Wed 28-Feb-07 10:00:49

I'm currently living in Kentish Town, completing on a Tufnell Park house on 9th March. It is damn cool for families this area.

Parts of TP are in Islington council, parts Camden. All KT is Camden. Both are sure start areas.

My ds is 19 months. Some great facilities are, current KT bias:

- scream! at holloway odeon
- the buses
- the tubes
- talacre soft play and the 'baby' gym there twice every morning is outstanding
- hampstead heath, the kids park and summertime paddling pool
- buses to highgate woods, cool in heat and great playgrounds
- the baa baa singing club friday morning at our lady on lady margaret road
- KT kids library and its rhyme time sessions
- camden square play group, truly wonderful resource
- loads of nursery places, some excellent. Easy for nannies to live around here, or travel to easily. Plenty if childminders
- KT road shops - good variety and very practical. Everything you need
- Waitrose on holloway road, ocado delivers all areas
- very close to london zoo. Buy a year pass and use as a clean safe play area!
- easy reach of musswell hill and crouch end baby friendly caffs and shops
- loads of little tucked away playgrounds
- 2 world class local hospitals (UCH, RFH)plus Whittington if you must
- socially very mixed area

Downsides:

- gaisford street is a dog toilet
- KT baths shut for next 3 years, nearest pools archway, swiss cottage and covent garden

queenoftarts Wed 28-Feb-07 13:04:28

Message deleted

blissfullee Wed 28-Feb-07 13:53:59

Oh you guys are fab. Thank you so much! Really helpful info. Any more ideas - please keep 'em comin'.
Thanks.

merryberry Wed 28-Feb-07 16:12:20

desirable state infants: torriano avenue. kt primary, tp primary.

couple of montessoris near enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now