Talk

Advanced search

Converting 2-bed back into 3-bed - cost of stud walls?

(6 Posts)
RanToTheHills Tue 27-Feb-07 09:37:07

any advicepls? Wondering about cost of doing this - labour/materials/decorating and whether it's worth buying a house on basis of converting it back.
thanks.

bubblepop Tue 27-Feb-07 14:02:50

hiya,the cost of stud walls is nothing much really, just the price of wood and plasterboard.i expect you could make a stud wall for about £30 or under, depending on the size. are you going to tackle this one yourself or get someone in?a plasterer will charge you a days pay to plaster a new wall, it should be an easy job with just a thin skim of plaster on a newly built wall.i'd definately consider the house if this is all thats required to make it into 3 bed. make sure the windows are in the right place though when you've divided the room up, moving windows or putting in new ones will cost more money and then you'l need building regs.

edam Tue 27-Feb-07 14:30:30

My neighbour is doing this at the moment - think it's fairly easy and relatively cheap as long as you just have to put a wall up rather than moving windows or doors.

RanToTheHills Tue 27-Feb-07 14:30:31

thanks,that's quite cheap so may be worth doing then!

MrsBadger Tue 27-Feb-07 14:35:05

we're about to do this in our house because it's infinitely cheaper than moving to a house the same size just with the wall still there.

DH is planning on doing most of it himself except the plastering (but is very handy) - the expensive / tricky bits are things like moving the lightswitches so they're in the right place for the new doorways.

When we thought we'd have to get a builder in to do it we'd allowed £1000 all in, including new carpet (as the old one wouldn't fit the new layout), wiring, decorating etc.

Don't forget that the landing or wherever the new room opens off will need decorating too as you have to make a new doorway / open up the old one.

RanToTheHills Wed 28-Feb-07 09:54:00

thanks,yes it makes financial sense doesn't it? Hope yours goes well then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now