Talk

Advanced search

Taking children to Glastonbury...

(35 Posts)
Ilovemyboy Mon 26-Feb-07 19:50:20

Has anyone done this?

How did it go?

How old were your children?

DS will be 8 months when Glasto is on this year and am thinking of taking him seeing as he will be easy to carry around at this age and this summer looks to be a hot one so hopefully it won't be a mudfest.

lunavix Mon 26-Feb-07 19:55:00

We're leaving taking the kids till next year when dd will be nezrly 2 and ds will be 4.

We'd go now if had a campervan type thing but don't.

TeeCee Mon 26-Feb-07 19:57:02

I wouldn't do Glastonbury with a baby / young kids.
I think it's too big, gets too hectic, always rains like mad and turns into a mud slide or worse a lake, too many people, too many people off their heads etc.

Having said that if you're gonna do it maybe 8 months is a good age, I really wouldn't want to take a toddler who could toddle off anywhere.

I've done big chill and it's much more managable and child friendly.

That's my personal opinion.

I've done Glastonbury and wouldn't take a kid and I've done Big Chill and done it with kids and would do it again any day.

BigmummaL Mon 26-Feb-07 22:06:15

Really want to take DS, but he is 14 months when Glasto is on and toddling around so I think it will be too difficult especially if the weather is anything like it was when I went in 2005, would be a complete nightmare!!! Hope to take him when he is 4 or 5 though. Never personally been in the Kids Field but heard it is great. The Big Green Gathering is supposed to be great for kids. x

lunavix Tue 27-Feb-07 09:18:25

we'd like to do the big green gathering this year but none of our friends want to and we think we might be a bit overwhelmed

NadineBaggott Tue 27-Feb-07 09:25:39

there are a number of threads here on the subject you may get some advice from

dmo Tue 27-Feb-07 14:15:00

think i might just try my dc's at a concert first

BettySpaghetti Tue 27-Feb-07 14:20:06

I've been to Glastonbury pre-children and its certainly not somewhere I'd want to go with children.

There were too many people off their faces, too hectic, sights I wouldn't particularly want my children to see ,we had stuff stolen from our tent etc.

Thats not to say I wouldn't go again without kids though!!

eviletc Tue 27-Feb-07 14:22:13

lunavix - we did BGG last year and it was great

aDad Tue 27-Feb-07 14:29:12

there was this thread but mainly applies to older kids.

2 years ago (the last glastonbury) was another total mudbath, despite great weather leading up to it. The people with children there mostly really struggled, and I was glad not to have any with me. I would say it is too unpredictable these days.

Then again as you and TC say 8 months is a good age in the sense that your ds won't just shoot off into the distance. we took dd1 to the big chill at that age and it was a dream. A year later it was hard to keep up with her and a whole lot more tiring.

JustSometimes Tue 27-Feb-07 14:30:30

I went several years running between 1996-2005. One year, to my horror, found some children (one as young as 4yrs) off their heads on stuff picked up from outside a tent. It hadn't been 'given' to them. Crime was a problem inside and I found it quite scary at times in certain areas. The site is massive, so it depends on which area you intend going I suppose.

Things have changed there now, and probably better for it.

The weather is always unpredicatable. I cannot forget watching Robbie Williams with mud pouring past my ankles......and the smell from those outdoor loos and hedgerows is still vivid!

aDad Tue 27-Feb-07 14:35:01

The lawless side has changed a bit though now. it was getting out of control for a while in the 90s.

But I think I agee with the people who say that there is too much out of control behaviour around for it to be particularly child friendly. For me anyway. I dont think I'll be taking the children there.

aDad Tue 27-Feb-07 14:45:41

that last post of mine makes me feel old now. I used to love the chaos! but i guess your perspective shifts.

<<hobbles off on zimmer frame>>

BettySpaghetti Tue 27-Feb-07 14:47:59

ah but, adad, its like I said -you might not want to take kids (because of the unsuitable sights and behaviour) but you might not mind going without them .

ShowOfHands Tue 27-Feb-07 14:48:01

I'm doing Cambridge Folk Festival and Beautiful Days festival this year with an 8wk old and then a 12wk old baby (ish).

Figure that'll be easy.

But then I think childbirth is going to be easy too.

[denial]

aDad Tue 27-Feb-07 14:52:34

that's true BS!

But also tbh fewer and fewer of my friends go and it's not been quite the same for me the last couple of times.

ShowofHands - I'm sure they will be great, Nice and small too.

aDad Tue 27-Feb-07 14:53:23

... the festivals and your child, that is.

2shoes Tue 27-Feb-07 15:26:03

glastonbury and mud oh the memories
years ago went with friends who took their dc's and it was fine.
Has it changed a lot now?

LadyMacbeth Tue 27-Feb-07 15:42:09

No way would I take my dcs to Glasto. Too many people, too much noise, and absolute hell when it rains. If he's crawling by then he'll prob be in to everything. Can you really see yourself lugging an eight month old around for hours? Even a trip to the nearest loo can easily take half an hour due to wading through the crowds and eight month olds can be weigh a ton after just a few minutes!

Oh god, I just can't imagine anything more hellish than trying to change a nappy in the midst of a mudbath while hundreds of young hedonists dance around off their faces and reminding me of what I'm missing.

Hate to rain on your parade I'm sure some parents have found it hugely enhjoyable but IMO the Glasto experience and very young children don't mix anyway.

BettySpaghetti Tue 27-Feb-07 16:02:35

I just had a vision of what my DDs reaction to the Glasto toilets would be like -pmsl!

....and another vision of what it would be like trying to go to one of said loos with my 2yo DS in tow -nightmare!

LadyMacbeth Tue 27-Feb-07 16:09:59

Yeah Betty - squatting over a loo is not the most comfortable of poses particularly with a lumbering child on your lap.

BettySpaghetti Tue 27-Feb-07 16:13:59

Its bad enough in a relatively clean public toilet (" Don't touch that! Or that! Don't open the door!")

niceglasses Tue 27-Feb-07 16:14:25

Went last time with 1 yr old and 4 yr old. Not good but did hit the mudfest year. Saw about half an hour of bands, rest in kids field. Will be going minus kids next time. Sorry, don't let me put you off.........................

LadyMacbeth Tue 27-Feb-07 16:15:56

Yes - although at Glasto it would be 'Please don't touch, it's not chocolate and that there is NOT a Smartie.'

BassMama Tue 27-Feb-07 16:16:50

I don't see why you can't?

The way I was brought up going to gigs and festivals all the time, never did me any harm. its an excellent culture experience as well for children, IMO (Not that an 8 month old will really know whats going on!!)

Loads of folk talk their kids to festivals and its fine, there might be people 'off their faces' but they wont go near your children!

From the comments on here I would be very put off, and I think that is a shame. Pelasnty kids are brought up in a more laid back, hippyish lifestyle and while it may be alternative, it is certainly not bad.

You'll get to go to Glasto, and you wont spend the whole weekend missing your baby. I say go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now