Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have an answer for cradle cap?

(41 Posts)
NatalieJane Mon 26-Feb-07 15:45:42

We've tried shampoos, olive oil, not washing, only wetting, and DS2's head is still all scaley and horrible.

Can I try anything else? What actually causes it? Is there anything to stop it?

Thanks

lulumama Mon 26-Feb-07 15:46:47

rub baby oil on it then shampoo? mine never had it ,but if they were a bit flakey, that seemed to work...

anyhoo.....just wanted to say 'hi!' and hope you and the gorgeous boys are well xxx

prettymum Mon 26-Feb-07 15:48:22

i used coconut oil when washing hos hair and his cradle cap cleared away quick

IntergalacticWalrus Mon 26-Feb-07 15:48:32

It's a type of eczema if irrc, so using shampoos and baby oli will probably exacerbate it.

With DS1 we used to put vaseline on his head before bed and then brush his hair (well, what hair he had anyway) with a sofy baby hair brush. It didn;t get rid of it, but it certainly improved it

AnnabelCaramel Mon 26-Feb-07 15:50:02

My hv suggested baby oil gently rubbed in and then hair washed. Worked for me, cleared up after about 3 days.

NatalieJane Mon 26-Feb-07 15:50:46

Hiya Lulu, just had that suggested on another thread, I will give it a go. Is there nothing I can do to stop it coming back? It is really thick and yellowish looking.

And yes we are all fine thanks, they have all had colds and general yukiness this past week, but I managed to escape it I think!

How about you? I have barely been on MN for weeks so have lost touch with everyone, have you done any more doula-ing yet? (Silly question!! )

NatalieJane Mon 26-Feb-07 15:52:12

Ooops thanks to everyone else as well

I will give all the suggestions a go, anything to help him get rid of it, it doesn't seem to bother him, but it can't be comfortable for them.

Cashncarry Mon 26-Feb-07 15:52:38

Shave their head. I know it sounds drastic but honestly, it does work! DD had the worst cradle cap (even on her eyebrows and cheeks) and I tried everything - special shampoos, every kind of oil, vaseline. We had to shave her head at 5 months (religious thing - we gave her a grade 1 because I didn't want to use a razor) and it really did disappear over night!

NatalieJane Mon 26-Feb-07 15:57:16

Shave his head? That really is extreme!

oranges Mon 26-Feb-07 15:59:28

shaving worked for my ds too. cradle cap vanished and his hair grew back with the loveliest curls.

IntergalacticWalrus Mon 26-Feb-07 16:03:32

I always have an overwhelming urge to pick DS2s cradle cap.

I'll be squeezing thier spots in a few years too, mark my works

bambino1 Mon 26-Feb-07 16:09:32

My dd was very bad so I took her to see the nurse at my gps and she gave me some brilliant shampoo. Have you tried any medical advise?

lulumama Mon 26-Feb-07 16:10:16

<< bit NJ...no RL births as yet ,but been doing some email and phone support....got a few things coming up that will get me out there a bit , i hope xxxxxxxx >>

NatalieJane Mon 26-Feb-07 16:11:22

Yep I admit to picking at it, I do try not to, but things like that are made to be picked at

The HV gave me some cream to use but it just made his head all sweaty and smelly, didn't touch the cradle cap.

NatalieJane Mon 26-Feb-07 16:12:41

Lulu, fingers crossed it won't be too much longer, you must be very impatient to get on and get your hands dirty, as it were

Cashncarry Mon 26-Feb-07 16:17:33

Go on NatalieJane - shave it! You know you want to!!

slalomsuki Mon 26-Feb-07 16:19:42

We used Vaseline on ds2's and it worked but it took a while getting the vaseline off totally

NatalieJane Mon 26-Feb-07 16:56:52

I don't know about shaving his head, maybe as a very last resort....

(I don't know why but it seems almost cruel, it obviously isn't but it just seems it)

LieselVentouse Mon 26-Feb-07 16:57:09

Olive oil

valentina Mon 26-Feb-07 16:59:24

We were told by a health visitor to use adult shampoo, and it worked.

Cashncarry Mon 26-Feb-07 17:00:45

I'm only joking! I did cry when we did DD because it felt like a violation of some sort ... but felt totally vindicated when the cradle cap disappeared.

I had to say to myself "FGS - it's not circumcision"

Lio Mon 26-Feb-07 17:00:46

I slapped on loads of aqueous cream for a day or two, got it really soft, then brushed the 'wrong' way with a soft toothbrush. Took 2 or 3 sessions but worked really well.

NatalieJane Mon 26-Feb-07 17:02:10

I tried olive oil, thanks though.

Poor kid is going to end with no hair, head smeared in vaseline and smelling of V05 LOL

If any of these do actually work for him, is there anything I can do to stop it coming back?

wanderingstar Mon 26-Feb-07 19:39:56

It's the production of too many skin cells I think. A dermatologist years ago recommended T Gel shampoo for my dd whose cradle cap was so bad it was becoming infected. As I recall, it was the T Gel for itchy scaly scalp; it has a small amount of some kind of acid which softens and loosens the scales. try it; it worked for me.

Surfermum Mon 26-Feb-07 19:49:44

DD had it quite badly. In the end I used the shampoo for cradle cap (can't remember what it's called), put olive oil in overnight and combed it next day with a nit comb.

I was a bit when my friend first suggested the nit comb, as I wondered if it would hurt, but dd didn't make any fuss and it really did the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now