Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant and feeling stupid

(9 Posts)
Lauraw1989 Sun 29-Jan-17 13:21:09

Last night I went to my DP's family party and (this may sound horrible) but it was the most boring time of my life. Mainly because the conversation seemed to be a battle of who knows the most. I hardly spoke all night.

My DP and his family are very cleaver and all in well paid jobs. Me on the other hand, I'm just an Admin Assistant and I'm not the brightest spark to be honest.

At one point, my DP's Aunt went round asking everyone "what's their favourite place they have ever been to and why?" Everyone had answers like India, Switzerland or Paris. When I was younger my parents didn't have much money, they could only afford a weekend at Skegness or a week in Spain (if they saved hard). Anyway, it got to my turn and I answered I don't have a favourite place. Everyone was like no you have to answer (in my head I was thinking f... off), so I gave them an honest answer and said wherever I'm happy. Everyone just looked at me and I just wanted to cry.

Eventually when I got home I did cry and I explained to DP how tonight left me feeling really stupid and I felt like I didn't fit in. He told me that's why he loves me because I'm not pretentious.

I'm 1 month pregnant grin and even though DP said all those lovely things I can't stop crying and feeling stupid (not sure if it's my hormones?)

SenoritaViva Sun 29-Jan-17 13:24:54

It is your hormones! There's more to life than facts and intelligence and yourDH sounds lovely! Remember he didn't choose his family but he did choose you.
Congratulations on your pregnancy and btw I think your answer was lovelier than any actual place. flowers

DaisyQueen Sun 29-Jan-17 13:25:04

Bless you. At least you were honest, try not to let their opinions bother you. Your dp sounds lovely so accept that he thinks you are brilliant and sod everyone else. And yes it probably is the hormones, I've cried over some of the silliest things these last few weeks.

Lauraw1989 Sun 29-Jan-17 13:46:11

My DP's cousin brought his new girlfriend round and she was the most boring person I think I have ever met in my whole entire life!

I went into the kitchen to get a drink and saw her pouring hot boiled water into a wine glass. I asked her what she was doing and she said this a very special hmmbottle of red wine and needs to be drank at the right temperature.

She was then telling everyone how she travels first class, about her new car, the fact she is a teacher ... zzzzzzz.

In future, if I ever have problems getting to sleep I will just think about her rambling on wink sorted!

cozietoesie Sun 29-Jan-17 14:05:31

They all just 'looked at me'? Maybe they were 'put in their place' for once by your honesty and forthrightness. Maybe - just maybe - your answer gave them pause for thought about their own lives. ( And they do sound, with the exception of your DP, like a rather desperate and empty-headed bunch.)

Don't worry about it at all. smile

BaronessBomburst Sun 29-Jan-17 14:09:38

Boiling water in a wine glass? I'm surprised it didn't crack.

HopefullyDothButterNoParsnips Sun 29-Jan-17 14:34:36

If it had cracked baroness presumably that would be the only craic of the evening!

Never worry yourself OP - it's sounds like a real drag trying to compete with each other all night. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

cozietoesie Sun 29-Jan-17 14:36:06

Me also. wink Which is why you chambre the bottle.

'Trying to make an impression.'

Lauraw1989 Sun 29-Jan-17 15:11:27

Thank you everyone so far for your lovely responses flowers along with what my DP said, you have made me feel better smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now