Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

School trip form "I understand the extent and limitations of the insurance cover provided" - Er, no, I don't

(18 Posts)
WideWebWitch Sun 25-Feb-07 17:58:06

I've just written "no, I don't since no details have been provided" but have signed the permission slip anyway to say ds can go on a school trip, having put asterisks around this and written the note above.

So, what would the extent and limitations of the insurance cover be? And why would I sign to say yes that's fine when they haven't told me? Am I being picky? Accidents can and do happen and I'm not prepared to sign accepting something when I don't have details.

Would you?

Caligula Sun 25-Feb-07 17:59:38

No I think you're absolutely right.

The extent and limitations of teh insurance cover are anyone's guess, since they haven't told you!

(TBH I bet they're a bit hazy on it too and will need to consult their LEA)

nearlyfourbob Sun 25-Feb-07 18:01:58

I think you are right to do this. Dh always brings home a proxy form for his company AGM 2 weeks before the Annual Report, and every year I send him back saying I am not signing anything without seeing the full details of what I am signing. I think I am the only spouse who does this.

littlemissbossy Sun 25-Feb-07 18:06:31

I agree 100%. I too have written similar on forms from school. And in instances like this would take a photocopy of the form, if you're able to.

nearlyemptynester Sun 25-Feb-07 19:02:51

Hi there, i saw this on a form today from DS's secondary school - I'm sure I haven't seen it before - is it new??

fortyplus Sun 25-Feb-07 19:07:02

I used to be Chair of my son's school PTA and we used to put a similar 'disclaimer' paragraph for the simple reason that only accidents caused by negligence are covered.

So...

If your ds falls over and breaks his arm you have no recourse to compensation. It's a simple personal injury and you have no right to claim on the insurance because no one else was at fault.

However, if his teacher leaves an obstacle in a stupid place, he trips over it and breaks his arm, you can sue for damages and the insurance will cough up.

nearlyemptynester Sun 25-Feb-07 19:11:37

Please don't tell me that the end is nigh for school trips etc?? If an accident does happen , I'm sure all the staff involved would feel responsible and sad that it had happened??

fortyplus Sun 25-Feb-07 19:15:57

My sons' school still runs school trips - even skiing and one every other year to the jungle in Ecuador.
It would be terrible if they didn't - such a great way for children to learn independence.
Mine each had a week away at an Activity Centre at the start of year 5. Ds1 is in yr8 now and is going to France and Germany in July.

nearlyemptynester Sun 25-Feb-07 19:20:18

I agree with you fortyplus - all 3 of mine have benefited from school trips - even though they are overpriced?! (probably to do with the insurance etc??!!!)

WideWebWitch Sun 25-Feb-07 19:22:14

I don't object to school trips, not at all, I think they're great. But it seems a bit odd asking me to sign to say I understand something I haven't been sent or read!

And I know someone whose son was seriously brain damaged and needs ft care as a result of negligence on a school trip.

nearlyemptynester Sun 25-Feb-07 19:29:04

That is sad WWW, but hopefully a very rare and terrible thing to have happened on a school trip. Did they have adequate insurance or was it sorted through the courts?

Caligula Sun 25-Feb-07 20:14:17

Isn't that normal with most PLI though? That you can claim if negligence is involved, but not if it's a straightforward accident?

fortyplus Sun 25-Feb-07 20:15:13

nearlyemptynester - school trips seem vastly overpriced for the simple reason that the teachers go free and the price each child pays reflects the fact that he/she is paying for a share of the teacher's trip. That's why young, single secondary school teachers are still prepared to take groups of teenagers skiing!

fortyplus Sun 25-Feb-07 20:17:05

Caligula - yes, you're right - I think schools are just far more careful to make parents aware of the fact that not everything is covered.

WideWebWitch Sun 25-Feb-07 21:04:34

The case I know about was sorted through court action - a one off lump sum payment and an annual fee for his care (which he needs for the rest of his life).

fortyplus Tue 27-Feb-07 08:56:16

There can be massive fines, too - a local rugby club was recently fined £20,000 following an accident at a family fun day that left an 8 year old child with brain damage.

whiffywarthog Tue 27-Feb-07 10:03:20

it's not acceptable to ask you to sign a form when the details of what you are signing are not given.

that it's a school trip are irrelevant.

whiffywarthog Tue 27-Feb-07 10:03:48

<clears throat> is irrelevant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now