Talk

Advanced search

Brownie Uniform - how much does your child have?

(39 Posts)
DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 20:37:35

I have been looking at getting dd Brownie Uniform - she should start in the summer. This shows all the current Brownie uniform (I hope!) So how much of that does your child have? eg t-shirt or long sleeved shirt? trousers, leggings or skort?

crispyduck Sat 24-Feb-07 20:39:17

dd had 2 t-shirts
one skirt, the joggers and the gillet...oh and get the blanket...it comes in handy for camp

mooshy Sat 24-Feb-07 20:39:50

dd2 just had the t shirt jumper and sash for her badges.She went for quite a while first though before i bought it all in case she didn`t stick with it.

DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 20:41:36

Joggers? Where are they? <panics>

I was thinking leggings instead of trousers as they are cheaper but wont she need shorts for the summer?

crispyduck Sat 24-Feb-07 20:45:11

Ask the brown owl......When dd finished and went onto guides I passed all the clothes on and she gave them away, the clothes were as good as new.

RubyRioja Sat 24-Feb-07 20:46:06

T shirt and trousers courtesy of The Pianist! And that will probably be it!

bubbles4 Sat 24-Feb-07 20:46:39

in our town we have about four different brownie packs and they all wear different uniform,the one dd goes to still wears the culottes and they have informed me they will continue to do so all the time they are available,also i can hire uniform from them for about £4 a term.so it might be worth waiting until she starts as they dont actually wear uniform until they have made their promise.

DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 20:47:44

Oh I was hoping to buy second hand uniform from a nice kind Mumsnetter! That is why I am looking at uniform so I know what to ask for. I don't think there will be any chance that dd will give up Brownies. She goes to Rainbows and adores it and can't wait to start Brownies.

My only (slight) worry buying second hand is that she won't have the same uniform as the rest of the pack eg, she might end up with leggings when they all have trousers.

DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 20:49:10

x posts.

Oh perhaps I should wait then. I was just hoping to have a couple of months in which to get my uniform second hand.

AuntyQuated Sat 24-Feb-07 21:07:05

i have a pair of trousers here and the jacket - both new types- but they are rather big - will check size...hang on

DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 21:07:38

dd is small but I await hopefully

princesscc Sat 24-Feb-07 21:07:46

You don't need to buy the whole lot in one go. Just buy the minimum for the time of year - i.e. t-shirt and shorts.

BrownieBells Sat 24-Feb-07 21:07:49

Hi - I am a Brown Owl, and I send a letter home to parents with a "recommendation" for what they should get e.e. a top, bottoms & the sash.
The Brownie Uniform has been designed so that it is mix and match and each child can choose the bits they like. My girls wear a whole host of different things - some wear the old style polo shirst and sweatshirts, others have the new long sleeve tops/skorts/t-shirts/hoodies and so on.

I would advise either speaking to the Brown Owl, or asking some of the other Mums - see what the other girls in the pack wear. There should be a supply of second hand uniform if the pack has been around a long time. Also have a chat with your daughter and see what she thinks

Hope this has helped - sort of!

B

DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 21:11:41

BB - I was told not to contact person who organises membership until dd is 7 and already too old for Rainbows. So I am waiting for her 7th birthday next month. I really hope there isn't a gap between her going to rainbows and starting Brownies as she is so keen.

AuntyQuated Sat 24-Feb-07 21:13:55

trousers say 32" waist

jacket says 36" chest and PMSL

these were DDs second lot so she was 10 and tall.

DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 21:15:03

Oh

My dd is not yet 7 and though average for height, slim build. I think you know my answer AQ but thanks for looking!

BrownieBells Sat 24-Feb-07 21:15:35

DG - sounds a bit strange to me - but having said that it is a different area.

I have a very long waiting list, and have some girls on since they were 4 (I know!) but we are so full.....

anyway, if someone phoned me to ask about Uniform, I would talk to them about it - after establishing whether they were on my waiting list and how soon theyw ould get a place and so on.

But to be honest, you aren't being pushy (i.e. demanding to know when you r daughter will get a place) you are simply asking a question - they shouldn't be discouraging things like that.

What about asking the Rainbow leader to check for you?

Brownie

AuntyQuated Sat 24-Feb-07 21:17:29

my DD is also slim build but very atll...she isn't 11 until march and alraedy is 5'2"

anyone want LARGE brownie uniform???

the jacket fits me but the sleeves are 3 quarter length lol

DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 21:22:18

Yes BB I was a bit taken aback when I enquired about it last rainbows session. I was reassued that because dd had been to Rainbows, she was automatically on the list for Brownies but no specific place is allocated because it depends what day I want her to go - different packs meet on different nights. Her rainbows pack does not automatically lead into one Brownie pack IYSWIM.

I don't know why, but I was made to feel that contacting the organiser before dd was 7 was not the done thing and I was a bit cowed by that.

PMSL AQ - ever thought of joining yourself if you have the uniform?

nikkie Sat 24-Feb-07 21:26:29

Here rainbows automatically get a place at the linked brownies unless it is full then they are on waiting list in order of age and jump anyone else on the list IYKWIM
Dd1 changed troups as her linked one was full only room for 2/8 and the rest changed to a regenerating troup.

DD1 has l/s top and hoodied jacket ,haven't go tpants and she is wearing her Brown ones until the summer and we will buy her shorts/skirt

BrownieBells Sat 24-Feb-07 21:29:45

DG - can see your difficulty - but for what it's worth, my advice would be
Choose which Brownie pack your daughter wants to go to (i.e. pick the day of the week) and contact the Brown Owl, explain that she is 7 next month, and you would like her to join that pack - but you were wondering about uniform, and if you had to get specific things and so on. A Brown Owl worth her salt (particularly one with spaces in her pack!) should not be off-hand or put out by your call.

I currently have a very full pack, compelte with enormous waiting list, and am taking a very limited number camping in the Summer - this is causing me probs, because I can only take 12 of them - and they all want to go! A Brown Owl's life is not an easy one

B

Kbear Sat 24-Feb-07 21:37:10

DG - there is always lots of uniform on ebay. I have spare for DD that we inherited from cousin but it's a bigger size than she is in now or I'd send it to you.

Also I bought regular brown tracksuit bottoms (plain) from Peacocks as her regulation Brownie ones kept splitting during the games. Brown Owl doesn't mind.

DD has the Tshirt, hoodie, trousers and sash. I also bought a padded brown gilet from Matalan last year as the Brownie gilet is very thin and her Brownie hut is FFFFFREEEEZing!

Agree, you should contact Brown Owl before she is 7 or she might think you don't want the place. If she is huffy, go to a different pack to be honest.

DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 21:45:35

You cant contact inidvidual Brown Owls round here. It is all done through the co-ordinator who must not be contacted before dd is 7

Thanks for hint about ebay though KBear. Will check that out.

Kbear Sat 24-Feb-07 21:46:20

Sounds like a weird way of encouraging girls into Guiding!

DumbledoresGirl Sat 24-Feb-07 21:48:12

Agree!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now