Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever sold a house without an estate agent? Any tips?

(9 Posts)
RubyRioja Fri 23-Feb-07 13:58:06

We are planning to put MILs house on the market. As I understand it, no estate agent will be interested until we have been granted probate. However, spring seems like a good time to sell it and to get things moving, I don't think there is anything to stop us trying to find a buyer whilst applying for probate.

We would use a solicitor to actually handle the purchase, but would appreciate any advice from anyone who has 'gone it alone'.

nksMany thak

RubyRioja Fri 23-Feb-07 13:58:19

Ooops - that should be thanks!

RubyRioja Sat 24-Feb-07 17:55:32

Weekend bump!

Or are there any estate agents out there who can convince me that I should not DIY?

wanderingstar Sat 24-Feb-07 19:45:46

We tried to sell our 1st flat years ago without an agent and tbh got a bit fed up of people making appointments to view and not turning up; it wasted a lot of our time and we both worked full time then. Plus don't underestimate the cost of advertising; yes you can put it on the web but you need a search engine to pick it up for that to work.

On a more positive note, we did sell our last house to friends, so that worked REALLY well without an agent. Worth asking around to see if any of your friends/acquaintances are planning a move...?

RubyRioja Sat 24-Feb-07 20:09:29

Hmm. thanks for input. It is about 1 hour away from us, so missed viewings woulldbe a real pita.

However, it is in a real hotspot for a specific very large employer, so I might try their internal communications.

Thanks

wanderingstar Sat 24-Feb-07 22:58:06

yes that's a good idea; everyone would love to do without an agent but you do need some kind of focussed advertising or a lucky break (yes the friends who bought off us are still friends !) to make it work. Good luck !.

themoon66 Sun 25-Feb-07 00:55:57

We didn't use an estate agent, but we did a part-ex with a builder for a new house, so that probably doesnt relate to the OP.

Having said that.... it was the smoothest, cheapest, easiest house move we've ever done.

Bubbaloo Sun 25-Feb-07 09:34:28

When we sold our first flat we never used an agent.It was ovr 10 years ago and we never had a pc either.We simply placed an ad in our local group of newspapers which cost us around £25 for the week and the flat was sold within 2 weeks.I'd say it s definately worth a try.You do get some people messing you around and not turning up,but people do that even if they've arranged a viewing through an agent.You have absolutely nothing to lose-best of luck.

RubyRioja Sun 25-Feb-07 09:38:24

Thanks - feeing a bit more motivated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now