Talk

Advanced search

I have a dilemma...........should I sell my piano????

(27 Posts)
fannyannie Thu 22-Feb-07 22:45:13

I bought it for £450 a few years ago and TBH it's hardly ever been used since we got it. I live right opposite the church (which I have a key to as I'm the organist/Director of Music) so have access to the piano in there anytime I want to when nothing is happening in the church. Neither of the DS's are currently interested in playing it atm and it's really too big for the house we're in.

DH thinks we should sell it and save up to buy an electric one (I want a Yamaha Clavinova....but I'd settle for something less) - I would rather wait until we actually have the money for decent electric one which takes up less space.

I think the only reason I want to keep it is sentimental really - I've always dreamed of having a piano in the house.....being a musician and all that....but I reckon I could probably get £200-300 for it in the condition it's currently in which would go nicely towards a new washing machine/pram before DC3 arrives.

So what should I do???

hunkerdave Thu 22-Feb-07 22:46:31

Sell the piano.

fransmom Thu 22-Feb-07 22:46:35

pass i would a piano but can't afford one nor do i have the room. sorry i'm not much help

Aero Thu 22-Feb-07 22:46:48

Do not sell - you will regret. Wait until you have the money for a lovely electric one, then sell.

fransmom Thu 22-Feb-07 22:47:02

i would love a piano

SherlockLGJ Thu 22-Feb-07 22:47:32

Sell it.

Did you sort out your work issues ??

hunkerdave Thu 22-Feb-07 22:47:44

Don't muddy the waters, folks - my post was put there to get a gut reaction from FA

If you thought "nnnnoooooooooooooo, I can't!" then your choice is made.

See?

Olihan Thu 22-Feb-07 22:48:01

Hmmm, tough one but I'd probably sell it, I think. You can get a great pram for £300!

fannyannie Thu 22-Feb-07 22:48:02

but will I actually regret it when it's hardly ever played?? I don't think I've opened the lid more than 3 or 4 times since we moved to this house over 2yrs ago !

SherlockLGJ Thu 22-Feb-07 22:48:59

I am at Hunker and I,at times we are not exactly sentimental are we ??

fannyannie Thu 22-Feb-07 22:49:08

LGJ - re work - sort of - they back tracked on the Final Warning (well they actually said I misunderstood what was said and that they only threatned me with one.......but I'm not that daft LOL).

Aero Thu 22-Feb-07 22:49:34

OTOH, if you never play it, then you won't miss it and you could buy a nice shiny washing machine for all those nappies.

If you don't play the one you have though, would you find the time to play a lovely new electric one anyway?

fannyannie Thu 22-Feb-07 22:49:46

Olihan - I know I could get the Hauck Infinity I have my eye on.....but then I wouldn't have a piano in the house

SherlockLGJ Thu 22-Feb-07 22:50:25

Goodo

So you are nearly ready to go on ML are you not ??

fannyannie Thu 22-Feb-07 22:50:54

Aero - I'm hoping at some point in the future (now slightly further in the future due to DC3 on the the way ) to start teaching piano at home (which can be done easily on a decent electric one)...and in a few years time one of the DS's may decide they want to learn.

fannyannie Thu 22-Feb-07 22:51:28

LGJ - my last night is the 1st April - then I'm on AL for a month then onto Mat Leave.....only 17 nights to go..........

expatinscotland Thu 22-Feb-07 22:51:29

I'd keep it.

I grew up w/a piano in the house and we both wanted to study piano.

funnypeculiar Thu 22-Feb-07 22:53:04

keep it. It's a symbol of how you WANT your household to be. More important than a pram, imho
But then I HANKER after a piano, so may be slightly biased

hunkerdave Thu 22-Feb-07 22:53:44

I hunker after pianos.

I see one, I squat.

fannyannie Thu 22-Feb-07 22:54:24

but I also want my lounge/diner to have more space in it.....especially with DS3 only 15 weeks away from arrival....

oh I don't know. PArt of me says "just sell the damn thing".....and the other part says "oh no you can't do that" LOL.

harpsichordcarrier Thu 22-Feb-07 22:54:42

sell it

hunkerdave Thu 22-Feb-07 22:56:29

If you woke up tomorrow and it was gone, but there was a shiny new buggy/washing machine/whatever in its place would you be:

a. happy
b. gutted
c. something else?

fannyannie Thu 22-Feb-07 22:57:42

oooo tricky one.....I guess I'd probably be quite happy......but then a bit gutted that I didn't have the piano too

Twinklemegan Thu 22-Feb-07 22:58:27

We've got the same problem fannyannie. My problem though is that my parents bought it for me a few years back (I used to study seriously, went to music college etc.) and it's a really good one. But the market for second hand pianos is terrible and I wouldn't get nearly it's true value if I could sell it at all. We've got no space for it, and like you I just don't play it at the moment. I'd like DS to grow up with a piano though. It's a difficult one isn't it?

harpsichordcarrier Thu 22-Feb-07 22:58:48

sell it though FA. you can always buy another piano. you have opportunity to play pianos/organs if you want to

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: