Talk

Advanced search

Born before 1986?

(37 Posts)
chocolatekimmy Thu 22-Feb-07 21:53:18

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans. When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags and riding in the passenger seat was a treat. We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chatrooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them. We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We played knock-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us. We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...they actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them.

wotzsaname Fri 23-Feb-07 00:35:30

I had a great childhood, ans was born mid 60's.

I should probaly have very bad skin as no suncreams, but then we never went abroad for hot hols anyway!

Can remember being about 11 before I knew of anyone who had been in a plane for their holiday to Spain, very exotic!

I can still remember the taste of lead-based paint - simple joys! Did me no harm, honest.

Sobernow Fri 23-Feb-07 00:40:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thelittleElf Fri 23-Feb-07 00:40:56

I'm a child of the seventies....crap clothes, dodgy skates, bike with NO brakes .....i had a fab childhood! I sometimes think it's a shame that kids these days are cosetted to much, but i guess it's a sign of the times! The world expects so much these days

Pann Fri 23-Feb-07 00:44:25

1960 boy here. Adored the70s. A gorgeous explosion of taste..in it's extremes.

The 80s were really "The decade that taste forgot"!!

prettymum Fri 23-Feb-07 00:47:20

i just make it into the group, i was born in 1985!

survivour Fri 23-Feb-07 02:30:03

chocolatekimmy, you took the words right out of my mouth.
I'm from the summer of 1970.

alipiggie Fri 23-Feb-07 02:34:24

Babe of the '60's here and loved my childhood. Long summers spent totally outdoors, cricket, swimming, cycling, rounders. 70's spacehoppers and go-karts. 80's Study and alcohol discovered . 90's travel and stress and work, marriage . 00's more travel kids yahoo and a new life in a new country just beginning oh and guess what. I'm going to see The Police on my 42 birthday. Nearly shouted that as I'm so excited.

KTeePee Fri 23-Feb-07 07:28:05

Love the OP - brought back happy memories! But as a parent now I do ssometimes feel a bit at the things we got up to - but as you say, we survived.

TeetheCeeofDavedom Fri 23-Feb-07 07:46:01

I was born 71. Can't comment on how fab the 60's must have been but the 70's were amazing. Such a great time

Used to wolf down breakfast, slam the front door on my way out, get my bike out of th unlocked garage and make it home again in time for tea.

Spent the day riding my bike without ever actaully crossing a road, just went round the blocks and played on the big green in my new through road. British bull dog was a popular game back then as well. Mainly just spent the day on my bike with a hand sized radio hanging off the handlebars. I loved that bike, was only chatting about it on here yesterday, a blue scrambler with pale coloured spoked wheels and a mad long seat. I used to tell other kids it could go faster than a train!

Heavenis Fri 23-Feb-07 07:52:28

I was a child of the 70s.

Does anyone else remember putting plastic tags that seal bread onto the brake cables on your bike.

throckenholt Fri 23-Feb-07 08:03:17

I was a child of the 60s/70s and did most of those things.

And I must be a shocking parent now because I do (or intend to when old enough) allow my kids to do similar things. My one reservation is that the road to the school is too darn dangerous to cycle (I hate it as an adult - I certainly don't want my under 10's doing it).

throckenholt Fri 23-Feb-07 08:04:54

except the car seat thing - cars are much more powerful and many more around than where I grew up - that one I am strict about.

LoveMyGirls Fri 23-Feb-07 08:06:46

I was an 80's child and used to play out all the time even used to go over the bridge (over the train track)to some fields that where massive and went on for miles.

fizzbuzz Fri 23-Feb-07 08:14:52

We used to go in huge packs down to the countryside nearby.

We used to paddle in the rivers, make dams, push each other in, water fights, everything.
I think the eldest of us was 12. I was about 8.

Would never let dc near water unless I was near. Poor dc I used to have a fantastic time

flutterdave Fri 23-Feb-07 08:26:28

Well I'm towards the end of this one born in 78 but I had a wonderful childhood too, we lived accross the road from the country park and I would go off in the morning with my neighbour and play till lunch come back eat (or take it out with us) and then go out and play again till tea time

It really was fantastic and all the other children who lived near would meet up and have huge games of hot rice or hide and seek or IT.

God I feel sad at the thought that DS may never have this

Oh I have to say I don't agree with the seatbelt bit, they save a hell of a lot of lives.

CurlyN Fri 23-Feb-07 08:36:29

and wet days in with everyone from 5 to 15, hiding behind the sofa, curtains closed scaring ourselves silly watching the Zombies or Friday 13th.

shosha Fri 23-Feb-07 08:43:57

Message withdrawn

furcoatandnoknickers Fri 23-Feb-07 08:55:41

Chopper bike

space hopper

space dust

tang [powdered orange]

socking great flares

massive long scarves that got caught in bike

using a paper-clip as a pretend brace!

purses on a string round your neck

ponchos with bobbles

(boys wore duffles or nylon anoraks)

Dr Who (hiding behind sofa)

clackers

ahhhh I could go on..........

lurkylou Fri 23-Feb-07 09:03:31

Mmmm this goes very nicely with my comments on smoking!!!

Those of us brought up in the 50's 60's & 70's were subjected to more smoke.

How many non smokers do you know with lung cancer??

Don't get me wrong, I think smoking is a sad habit and restrictions on smoking will hopefully reduce the number of people who succumb to the habit but I think the UK's reaction to passive smoking is OTT!!!

Also the over reaction to the media hype about how safe British society is. Britain still has an excellent safety record so why do a lot of you still insist on driving your children to school??!!! ETC ETC ETC

I walked 25 mins to primary school through London streets in rain, fog and snow - with a couple of other children!!! Still here to tell the tale as are all my school friends!!

chocolatekimmy Fri 23-Feb-07 14:32:59

How different it is know for our children - some things for the better of course (like seat belts in cars).

Furcoat - I love the nostalgia. I remember most of those (born 1970). Do you remeber the starskey and hutch cardigans and the quilt cover type coats (burgundy was best).

motherinferior Fri 23-Feb-07 14:39:44

Oh please. Come on. What is this rosy vision?

I was born in 1963. I had a deeply over-protected indoor childhood. I got very little exercise, was ferried to and from (state) school by car and was hideously self-conscious about my weight from the age of nine on. I wasn't allowed a door key till I was in the sixth form.

I did hang out with the crowd who smoked dope from the age of 15 onwards, though.

motherinferior Fri 23-Feb-07 14:44:27

I was also bullied at school, with no redress - my six year old already knows exactly what to do if that happens to her; my Indian mother was racially abused and harrassed every day in her teaching job (oh, those fabulous days when the National Front was gaining political ground); and it was considered perfectly OK for teachers to refer to 'boys'' and 'girls'' subjects.

Indith Fri 23-Feb-07 14:51:38

Is it just one of those things that everything seemed better when we were young? I was born in 1983 and yes I climbed trees and played out late and it does feel like things have changed so much (and I frequently rant about the many things I can't do with my Guides that were allowed when I was 10)but I bet in 20 years time my littl ds will be looking back at his childhood fondly.

Much of it is choice anyway, we don't have to put latches on doors, stop our children playing with pans. I still only have 4 channels on my tv (not even 5!) We can still encourage outside play although I accept that there are more safety issues now, we don't have to give in to pester power and buy an x-box and we can sure as hell make the little darlings walk to school!

I sincerely hope I still think like that when ds is old enough to have friends and play out!

Mercy Fri 23-Feb-07 14:56:14

Motherinferior

I have to agree though - it wasn't all good in our day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: