Talk

Advanced search

I don't care that much, but am just curious. Dog-owners - what do you do with dog-poo if your dog poos in the garden?

(30 Posts)
Caligula Thu 22-Feb-07 17:27:33

Do you throw it in the bin?

I ask because my neighbour told me that's what she does and I was a bit startled. I don't know why really, I guess I thought you went to special dog-poo bins. All the people I know who have dogs, the dogs won't poo in their gardens, so they're always out and about and the poo gets thrown into one of those bins. Have never heard of dogs poo-ing in their own gardens before this.

Have a sad boring life, so am pondering on the mysteries of poo and thought I might as well ponder on mumsnet - someone's bound to join me!

gscrym Thu 22-Feb-07 17:30:47

I throw it in the bin as well. I never really thought about it as I put DS's nappies in the bin when he was little.

Monkeytrousers Thu 22-Feb-07 17:30:58

Don't know Cali sorry but I just wanted to let you know that I emailed you on your CBoots addy - not sure of you still use it though

Caligula Thu 22-Feb-07 17:31:44

Ooh yes I do, will check e-mails now.

Kelly1978 Thu 22-Feb-07 17:32:15

parents chucked it in the bin.

I've got dog poo on the verge outside my front garden. I don't even have a flipping dog.

Piffle Thu 22-Feb-07 17:32:27

flush it down our loo or take it to the dog bin down the road.

Piffle Thu 22-Feb-07 17:33:04

our bins only get emptied once a fortnight the stench esp in warmer weather would be evil

gscrym Thu 22-Feb-07 17:34:09

I use my vast stock of DS's old scented nappy sacks.

Oati Thu 22-Feb-07 17:35:30

official advice from DEFRA:

GOING AT HOME

If you've got a garden, then why not screen off a small area where you can train your dog to go. You can then bury the mess in the garden or pick it up using a poop scoop. Your council should tell you if they have special arrangements for disposal of poop scoops. Otherwise, wrap up the used poop scoop in a plastic bag and dispose of it with your normal household waste.

If you don't have a garden and your dog is not too large, try training your dog to use a litter tray. Dispose of the contents of the litter tray by double wrapping it in plastic bags and dispose of it with your normal household waste.

Oati Thu 22-Feb-07 17:36:22

defra

happystory Thu 22-Feb-07 17:38:47

You can buy a dog toilet!!! like a bucket that you sink into a hole in a corner of the garden . You fill it up (has a lid)as you clean up the garden and over time it eeerm... composts into the ground (think it has holes in bottom) Ours was near our back fence and we always hoped if anyone tried to sneak over the fence they would step in it

SparklyGothKat Thu 22-Feb-07 17:40:17

does it work?? (the dog loo)and does it smell?? Am thinking about getting one for our garden.

happystory Thu 22-Feb-07 17:42:39

It did work (better in warm weather!)and you couldn't smell it cos of the lid. But if 'things' were going a bit slow, dh did sometimes have to bale it out....

happystory Thu 22-Feb-07 17:43:06

Nice subject for teatime, eh?!

tenbygirl Thu 22-Feb-07 19:23:58

My mum pts her dog's poo in the bin.

My neighbours put their dog's poo down the manhole in their garden, so into the sewer. However this is illegal and if the local water board catch them (never going to happen), then they would be in trouble.

Joanie Fri 23-Feb-07 11:48:23

We have a dog loo. Our dog is quite large and does about 3 large poos a day (TMI?)

Loo gets full up after a while in these circs, though I think you can get some chemical to help. So perhaps only worth it if you dog is small?

Also needs to be buried in the ground with hardcore underneath for drainage - a long and heavy job.

We have trained her to go in certain area of garden, but now need to make that area smaller cos of DCs I find it imp to pick up all traces. Suppose could take her for more walks first thing in am and last thing at night !

Caligula Fri 23-Feb-07 11:50:47

Why is it illegal to put dog-poo in the sewer? Isn't that where human poo goes?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not developing an unhealthy poo obsession.

Whoooosh Fri 23-Feb-07 12:03:54

Nappy sacks and into the wheelie bin.

Sugarmagnolia Fri 23-Feb-07 12:31:51

ditto nappy sacks and wheelie bin

boredwithwaitingforminiMOSSY Fri 23-Feb-07 12:38:46

I don't have a garden; I have a back yard. I pick the poo up in plastic bags and put it in a separate bin bag to the normal rubbish; I use one of the free council bin bags as they're much thicker than the usual ones.

We don't have wheelie bins you see, and I wouldn't want some poor refuse disposal person getting my dogs' poo on their hands.

Every day I hose down the yard because of the dog wee, and once a week I then bleach down the yard.

Jessajam Fri 23-Feb-07 12:51:43

How do you train a dog to use a specific area in the garden?

I have heard of this and want to try it, but no idea how. Do you have to start when they are pups or can I teach old dog a new trick?

CAMy Fri 23-Feb-07 12:53:17

Thanks for starting this thread Caligula, you've just reminded me as to why I could never have a dog

Caligula Fri 23-Feb-07 19:37:53

LOL Cam. Am still wondering about the sewage...

TwoIfBySea Fri 23-Feb-07 21:08:22

Jessajam, we used to put our dog on a lead and take him to the area we wanted him to use. He was a puppy when we started but it should work with all ages.

Eventually he got the idea and if I saw him starting to squat elsewhere I'd just clap my hands which let him know he was up to something wrong. He would shuffle over to the correct spot. He doesn't poo in the garden much now, only twice this past winter, and we have a red poo bin at the top of our street which is handy!

Gingerbear Fri 23-Feb-07 21:10:17

we lift the manhole cover and stick it in the cess pit <<oh the joys of country living>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now