Talk

Advanced search

Minecraft comicon type convention in U.K.?

(35 Posts)
Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:29:06

Hi
My son (8) is Minecraft mad.
This morning he asked if there are any comicons (he means for Minecraft) in the U.K..
Obv I haven't a clue.
Google not being helpful
Any wise mners know?
Can travel to London quite easily, and would be as a family so 4 of us.
Any help gratefully received!

BonnesVacances Fri 06-Jan-17 17:42:51

It's called MineCon and they alternate it between Europe and the US each year.

It was in California in 2016 so should be in Europe in 2017. Unlikely to be in the UK as it was in London in 2015. It was in Paris in 2012, so that's probably out too.

The rumours are the Sweden or Holland look favourable. Or Germany. But could be anywhere in Europe really, except London or Paris.

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:44:14

Ohhhhh
Sorry to be so clueless but who goes?
Stampy?
Dantdm?
Is it very expensive?

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:44:34

Do you know when tickets are available?

PossumInAPearTree Fri 06-Jan-17 17:46:50

Also google for Insommnia gaming festival. Dd has been to that with friends and although it's not just mine craft there's a fair bit of minecraft. Dan was there one year. Not sure about stampy. Was in Birmingham last year.

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:55:01

Thank you!

BonnesVacances Fri 06-Jan-17 17:56:49

Last year tickets went on sale in April for the convention in September. They're £100+.

DS(12) wants to go this year and I said I'd take him but he had to find a friend to go too so I don't have to pay to go in. I'd rather go shopping instead. grin

littleredlipstick Fri 06-Jan-17 17:59:53

My son goes to insomnia every time it's on (3 times a year) a few years ago it was in Coventry but now moved to the nec he only goes for the Saturday though and has a great time.

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:00:58

Ah we are in the midlands so nec would be great

Harree Fri 06-Jan-17 18:06:16

We went to the Digital Kids show at EventCity last September. My 10 DD is Minecraft & YouTuber obsessed & it was right up her street. We'll definitely be buying tickets for this year!

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:13:46

Where is that haree?

YesThisIsMe Fri 06-Jan-17 18:26:15

We went to Legends of Gaming at Alexandra Palace for the last two years (September time). It was OK, not expensive and there was a lot of Minecraft content - DanTDM was there the first time but not the second.

MissBeehiving Fri 06-Jan-17 18:51:19

Insomnia is good. DS1 met Dantdm there when he didn't have 13 m subscribers. It's a lot harder to see Dan now as I know to my cost as DS2 is equally obsessed. We went to one of Dan's shows in the autumn and he selected a kid to come out of the audience and get up on to the stages with him - this child was so thrilled to be near his idol that he just kept hugging him 😄

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:00:37

Awwww
So there are many shows?
It would be nice for ds to meet stampy or dan

YesThisIsMe Fri 06-Jan-17 20:06:20

Actually meeting the very big names like DanTDM or Stampy comes at a very high price - it normally involves shelling out £££££ for VIP passes or special meet and greets. So manage your DS's expectations because unless you have money to burn it's probably not going to happen - if he's keen on a less well known YouTuber then it's more achievable - DD was delighted to queue for a selfie with a cool female gamer.

dailyshite Fri 06-Jan-17 20:10:09

Another one for Insomnia. Meet and greets are ridiculously hard to get, the first year we should have queued for 4 hours but just happened to be sitting near the stage when Stampy LN and Dan TDM went on stage so DS got a photo. Bumped into someone outside the loo this year, no idea who he was but lots of people were asking for autographs so kids had their photo taken with him grin

It's bonkers, everyone gets very excited - like one direction are on stage! Was a bit of a revelation to be honest!

Badders123 Fri 06-Jan-17 20:17:55

Right....great info thanks!

littleredlipstick Fri 06-Jan-17 20:20:19

You do meet and greats with some of the smaller you tubers and often they are just walking round enjoying the show. I know grian, Sam gladiator and tautris (sp) were there one year and my son was able to ask them a question on the mine craft panel show

littleredlipstick Fri 06-Jan-17 20:23:32

Sigh just lost my post after typing it out!

You can get meet and greets with smaller you tubers as well and often they are just walking round enjoying the show if you know who to look out for!

Grian, Sam gladiator and tautris (sp) were there one year and my son managed to ask them a question at the mine craft panel q&a

littleredlipstick Fri 06-Jan-17 20:24:00

Nope it doubled posted! Apologies

Harree Fri 06-Jan-17 21:25:49

Badders It's at the Trafford Centre, Manchester... Was the first one last September.

MissBeehiving Fri 06-Jan-17 21:58:31

Dan toured in the autumn. DH said that it was 2 hours of his life that he's not getting back.😄 The VIP meet and greet tickets were £50 but were sold out in about 3 minutes. We also had the pleasure of a 4 hour wait in a queue at a book signing but that was £15 and you did get a copy of the book 😬

thesandwich Fri 06-Jan-17 22:29:12

Dd has volunteered at insomnia- her top tips are to be very nice to the green shirt volunteers who will tell you what's going on and top tips- she said mine craft there was great fun.

Badders123 Sun 08-Jan-17 15:09:05

So...
Insomnia looks a good bet smile
I've googled but I can't seem to get the info I need confusedblush
When and where is the next one?
Thanks!

PossumInAPearTree Sun 08-Jan-17 15:48:20

14-17 April 2017

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now