Talk

Advanced search

Motorway night time driving - in heavy rain!

(7 Posts)
Knightridergirl Thu 05-Jan-17 11:26:57

The rain really isn't the issue.
I took the personal decision to not drive on the motorway at night since DS was born. DS is a toddler now.

There's a journey I may have to make tomorrow evening with DS: London to Milton Keynes on the M1.
Would it be safe to assume that the M1, on a Friday night with heavy pouring rain would mean less cars and actually safer to drive on?

isthistoonosy Thu 05-Jan-17 11:33:21

I don't think so. There my be a slight drop in the amount of cars but that would be offset by the added hazard of the rain and night time.
Could you travel.earlier if you are not comfortable driving at night?

Knightridergirl Thu 05-Jan-17 11:45:53

Thanks isthistoonosy, I do have the option to drive the morning after (Saturday) when it'll be nice and dry but I was trying to pluck up the courage to start the night driving again with DS. sad
I know I sound like a wimp, I wasn't like this before DS was born!
Have you done this type of journey yourself at all?

isthistoonosy Thu 05-Jan-17 13:17:57

Loads of times I use to live and work in London and study one day a week in Leeds.
I've got the same about winter driving following a very minor accident bit I have to do that where I live and work now so I'm being forced to get on with it.
Id drive in the morning this time and do a practice night drive with a confident driver before trying.on your own with your son in the back to distract you.

Knightridergirl Thu 05-Jan-17 13:22:48

I think you're right, I'll just stick with Saturday morning.
Thank you for your input, flowersI'm glad to know that I'm not alone in how I feel about driving after becoming a parent!

bumpertobumper Thu 05-Jan-17 13:49:49

London to mk is only about 45 mins on the m1, there are Street lights all the way, so as a stretch of motor way is is quite easy.
Motorway driving is the safest statistically, less likely to have an accident, and if you do only in town are you less likely to be injured.
Personally when travelling with small kids I prefer to go at night as they are asleep so not crying or asking for drinks etc to distract me.
But you should do whatever you feel most comfortable with, just please don't sit in the middle lane wink

butterflymum Thu 05-Jan-17 13:55:44

Another for 'do what makes you feel comfortable'. For the future, would a 'night time Motorway driving' lesson help boost your confidence? Remember, driving instructors aren't just there to teach learner drivers, they can be very good at helping boost confidence in certain aspects of driving for experienced drivers too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now