Talk

Advanced search

Substitute Dad?

(4 Posts)
topaztiger1983 Mon 26-Dec-16 01:51:30

OK

Strange situation, we (myself and my partner) have a friend who has 3 kids, 2 of whoms father is not interested in them (ages 9 & 5), now I have been a father figure to these kids since they were babies
The situation is that I would like to be a substitute father to these two kids (I have no interest in a relationship with their mother), I am not sure if there is a legal way of doing this or if such a thing exists but I think of these kids as my own already

My partner knows about this and is supportive of it, the mother also knows I think of the kids as my own

I could do with some help here, even the kids have asked their mother why I can't be their daddy as I would treat them right

It's such a strange situation I am in

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Mon 26-Dec-16 01:57:19

Can't you both just be a much loved auntie and uncle? Why is it just you acting as a substitute parent?

topaztiger1983 Mon 26-Dec-16 02:12:44

I think they need a father to look up to, does not seem like uncle is right some how, not saying I want them to call me dad either but maybe something else, I dunno maybe just being silly (the kids love both of us), I just think a father in their life that they know and cares for them would help them and their mother

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Mon 26-Dec-16 02:40:09

I'm personally of the view that you can show all of that love, care and stability without calling yourself a father. They already have a dad. He might be shit, but he's theirs, and he's part of who they are.

You also don't know what the future holds for them or their mum, in terms of who might come into their lives.

Do you have your own children? Are you planning to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now