Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have anything nice to say about Sherburn in Elmet?

(16 Posts)
TeaQueen75 Mon 05-Dec-16 00:21:24

DO and I have just had an offer accepted on our dream home. We have been wanting to move out of our small back to back terrace since having DD and now we have the chance to give her a garden and more space. We both love the house. Only problem is we don't know the area. At first glance it all seems pretty nice, villagey with local shops and decent links to York and Leeds. But looking online at people's opinions has really put me off. Now I know the high school has a bad reputation but our DD is a long way off that so I'm not too concerned. But I am concerned that no one seems to have anything nice to say about this village? Is there anybody out there who lives in Sherburn now that can reassure me?

TeaQueen75 Mon 05-Dec-16 00:23:17

Typo at start... *DH

HuckleberryGin Mon 05-Dec-16 00:27:14

Some friends of ours moved there a couple of years ago with their children. They seem happy enough.

I often go to the Aldi there!

marsybum Mon 05-Dec-16 00:32:11

I lived there from 2005-2009 and my life was hell for a large portion of that time... As I wasnt native it stemmed from that, being told to Fuck off back to where I came from, being accused of neglecting my children, it was awful. The high school also wouldn't put my son in the top set because he had dyspraxia so they kept him down, when we moved him in year 9 he was put in the top sets and got a*/a. The primary school my dt's went to told me they were unteachable, yet they are now thriving.

So sorry I have nothing nice to say about it!!

EarlGreyTeaAndToast Mon 05-Dec-16 00:47:32

It's not a great area. I know it well. It's officially Leeds, but closer to Selby. Selby used to be many years ago a bustling market town. It's now all charity shops and third generation unemployed. There are damn good political and social reasons for that, but it's spread out ripple effect into the villages as the pits, factories, breweries, glass works closed.
I tend to see lots of kids roaming the streets with nothing to do. Mindless vandalism.
Sorry 😞 Wish I was more positive.
Is the house right in the middle, or further away? There are some lovely houses more rurally there and the people I know there send their kids to independent schools in York, avoiding all the local school entirely.
I wish I was more positive about it. When I was little in the 70s it was a very different place!
(You're also in Selby and Ainsty for your MP and he's a Tory who voted against equal marriage 😬 and hasn't seemed to really get local issues.)

TeaQueen75 Mon 05-Dec-16 00:58:25

Oh now I am starting to worry. The house is a fairly new one, a new build around 4 years ago. The time we have spent there has been fine and all the home owners we met when we were looking were all very nice families. It's not right in the centre no, but not closer to any other village. I can't sleep through worry I need to get myself out of this, even though the house is amazing! Thank you HuckleberryGin for your comment, that has helped a bit. Marsybum sounds like you had an awful experience! Maybe things have changed in 7 years?!?! Trying to be hopeful

AristotlesTrousers Mon 05-Dec-16 06:27:33

Just PMed you, tea.

Grindelwaldswand Mon 05-Dec-16 06:37:20

Ive only been once to visit a friend, never again dear god it was worse than some of the rough parts of Leeds!! Children runing round in gangs pelting rocks at our car as we drove through hmm no parents to be seen and this was during school hours when they should have been at school the whole area looked run down and shabby and the people didn't look "all there" like they'd given up on life and job searching
Id ask for my money back and run. Why didn't you check crime and Ofsted before moving ? And you should always go sit in the area in your car after dark to see what the crime on a night is like

Grindelwaldswand Mon 05-Dec-16 06:37:58

This was only about 2 months ago btw

TeaQueen75 Mon 05-Dec-16 08:47:21

In my defence I currently live only 2 miles from Leeds city centre so comparative crimes stats were pretty good. And ofstead reports for primary schools are all good too. We were very much focused on the house. Thank you for the scary comments so far! I'm still hoping someone will add something more positive!

HuckleberryGin Mon 05-Dec-16 12:10:32

Have you looked at other villages in the area?

Nanananananagigglebiz Mon 05-Dec-16 12:14:03

Of course! Fab place to live. Great for bringing up a family. Good community spirit. We've lived in the area for 6 years. Feel free to message me any more questions. X

Nanananananagigglebiz Mon 05-Dec-16 12:50:40

Think some of those comments are a bit OTT tbh but then i can't speak for their experiences only my own.

Rosieposy4 Mon 05-Dec-16 20:59:06

Live in a village near there. Sherburn is pretty dire to be honest, take a wander round the aforementioned aldi and check out the locals. The high school is crap and has been so for at least the past 15 years, not likley to change, they have tried seceral heads, sacked the entire governing body etc over the years.
There is a reason why the house prices are not high.
The village i live in every monring fleets of buses appear taking kids to fee paying schools in ledds, wakefield, ackworth and drax. Very very few of the kids go to Sherburn high.

Grindelwaldswand Mon 05-Dec-16 22:35:58

House prices are low for a reason it equals a low quality of life

Andrewofgg Tue 20-Dec-16 14:15:29

There's a road out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now