We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

INTROVERTS THREAD 2! Where we revel in enjoying our own company!

(48 Posts)
CoconutOilWink Thu 10-Nov-16 20:03:42

Thread 2 as the other one was full, and I have only just discovered it!

Original started in 2012 by NorksAreMessy, see her original post below...

NorksAreMessy Sat 24-Nov-12 23:04:28

Hello fellow introverts. I hope the last thread exploded due to time since it was started, and not because it was controversial. grin

I started the original thread after reading the wonderful book quiet and realizing that I was not alone.

Lots of people were kind enough to share their thoughts and experiences, and it was a good support for those of us who like being alone; hate parties, especially hen nights; love reading, crafting, walking, painting, creating; enjoy solitude; need some recovery time after being in a crowd; prefer thought to action.

We are not necessarily shy, we can be confident and even outspoken, but we are at our happiest having a bit of a think on our own, thanks all the same

It's a bit odd to have a group of introverts, but I prefer to think of us as a collective. Separate but together.

As Christmas approaches, I thought we might need a thread to help us through it all

BroomstickOfLove Thu 10-Nov-16 20:11:42

I can post on this thread, because it's all lovely and quiet and empty!

CoconutOilWink Thu 10-Nov-16 20:23:17

Hello Broomstick, here have a book and some brew chocolate

Icecreamkitty Thu 10-Nov-16 20:29:58

hi, I have just discovered and read a bit of the last thread and would like to join as it is so nice to know there are more of us out there! I have two social events in two nights coming up next Friday and Saturday and am already feeling very anxious about it - I can cope with one night out (although I would generally rather not...) but two in a row is just too much. I resent it as I feel it is stealing away my time by myself even though really is only 2 nights out of probably a month of not going out!

aginghippy Thu 10-Nov-16 21:22:35

Hi everyone

The book mentioned in the OP is Quiet by Susan Cain. Well worth reading.

aginghippy Thu 10-Nov-16 21:23:21

<curls up on sofa with book and dog>

SpeckledyBanana Thu 10-Nov-16 21:24:50

Hello everyone.

I've got Quiet on my Kindle, will have to have a look now.

It's Thursday, I'm home alone with DD tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

MadisonAvenue Thu 10-Nov-16 21:28:48

Hello, I'll join you if you don't mind.
My husband is going out with some neighbour's tomorrow night, I'm just hoping that their wives don't decide that we should have a girls night out in the coming weeks (that's what usually happens). I always feel obliged to go but get so anxious about it.

CoconutOilWink Thu 10-Nov-16 21:43:50

I've had a week off work and spent most days inside watching netflix, reading or walking the dog. It's been lovely x)

Really enjoyed the Ted Talk mentioned in the other thread
www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4&app=desktop

SpeckledyBanana Thu 10-Nov-16 22:13:15

I like going out, but I really like wearing pyjamas on the sofa, too.

NorksAreMessy Fri 11-Nov-16 07:16:50

Ahhhhhhh, peace

Littlegreyauditor Fri 11-Nov-16 09:45:55

Just checking in so I don't lose this thread. I suspected we introverts would start unfurling round about now, as Christmas/NYE is looming. This thread seems to get busy around that time. Maybe we just need a bit of reassurance before it all starts. smile

lbrc84 Fri 11-Nov-16 11:55:37

Has anyone felt that they may be depressed? I have to admit that over the years as I have gradually become more removed from social circles and not getting on as well with friends/ family due to different interests and them not understanding why i dont want to go shopping or getting anxious about weddings, parties etc. I did wonder id I was perhaps depressed as I felt so alone and not normal-has anyone else felt like this?

WickedBadZoot Fri 11-Nov-16 12:09:07

This thread is my home! The OP describes me to a T.

lbrc I am a depressive, I think depression and introversion are not mutually exclusive. Introversion doesn't necessarily mean you're depressed, but if you're depressed it doesn't mean you're not also introverted,if you see what I mean?

I definitely become more introverted when I am depressed. Going through a bad patch at the moment and really don't want to see anyone, talk on the phone etc.

Also on a slightly unrelated note I saw this the other day and it really struck a chord with me. My mum (for example) says I'm not introverted because I can sometimes be loud and talkative. Totally not the case!

YouHadMeAtCake Fri 11-Nov-16 12:16:24

Oh how lovely. I shall join you all in this cosy, quiet place.

lbrc84 Fri 11-Nov-16 13:34:03

Hope you feel better soon WickedBadZoot. I think I'm perhaps only just realising that I am not depressed like I thought I might be in the past and that its ok to enjoy spending time on my own, not wanting to go to every big social event or gathering I get invited to. Since finding this forum last week and finally plucking up the courage to post on here yday, I actually realise I am normal!

hutchblue Fri 11-Nov-16 13:38:52

feeling a bit low that the weekend is coming and I will have to interact with my family until it is quiet again at 9am on Monday morning.

Am I weird?

Once it's here (the weekend) I do enjoy it but 9am Monday morning is heaven when I return to the house and it's quiet and I don't have to talk. smile

Mirandawest Fri 11-Nov-16 13:49:46

I work from home. This is a good thing. I am happy to spend time with my family and will miss DH when he's working away for the next three weeks but I really wouldn't like to have to interact with people in person all day at work.

Mirandawest Fri 11-Nov-16 13:51:19

I have suffered from depression in the past and may well do again at some point in the future. When I really can't face seeing anyone else then that shows me that something's not right for me.

lbrc84 Fri 11-Nov-16 14:01:12

What sort of jobs does everyone do? before I had children I was a Legal Secretary which I enjoyed but couldn't really return to part time after I had my kids. When my youngest started nursery I got a job working just for over an hour a day at my sons school as a dinner lady! Have recently given it up though as was so much hassle being right in the middle of the day with regards to time to walk the dog, having lunch ( I'm type 1 diabetic so have to eat) and then getting back up to the school again to pick kids up. So for now I'm a sahm and to be honest I am loving not having to speak to many ppl during the day! I think I will have to get another part time job soon though but not sure what. Would love to do something working from home...

boldlygoingsomewhere Fri 11-Nov-16 14:01:36

I'm quite sociable but much prefer smaller gatherings with people I know well and absolutely need time to myself to recharge my batteries. I skipped work Xmas do last year because it was one of those multiple companies sharing a space events which is my idea of hell!

Read Quiet a couple of years ago and found it very helpful in understanding what my strengths are and how to make sure my needs are met.

Currently, toddler is dropping her nap which means my quiet window is disappearing!

Mirandawest Fri 11-Nov-16 14:42:31

I am an accountant, and work as a support tutor for students studying for their exams. They contact us via email, live chat and phone. Unsurprisingly, phone calls are my least favourite way for them to contact us grin

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Fri 11-Nov-16 23:02:29

Yay I have found my people!

I work at home alone and I love it! Been looking at a 'proper' job to get a bigger mortgage but beginning to think I'd rather have a smaller house and some peace and quiet grin. I told the woman at the recruitment place that I don't do phones, or people really and that an office is my idea of hell! Not sure what she's going to find for me smile

DP and I have talked about moving in together after 4 years together, but tbh I'm panicking about losing my bolt hole. He's very sociable, always has family round at the weekends and his dcs have friends over all the time.

I think coupled with working with people all day, it could be a disaster sad. Not sure what the answer is, as I love the idea of living together but I worry that I'll struggle with the reality.

CoconutOilWink Sat 12-Nov-16 12:42:09

Sounds like you need a wee shed/snug in the garden to go for alone time. Take up a course or something so you can escape to there when family are around under the guise of studying x)

Saying that I think you would need to come to a compromise with your dp so that you don't feel pushed out of your own house! Maybe family over one day a weekend, rather than both?

boldlygoingsomewhere Sat 12-Nov-16 14:21:32

Feedme, I know what you mean about the family thing. Luckily, my family are mostly introverts too so even if we are physically in the same room, there is no expectation to keep up the small talk and no-one feels offended if people are reading or nip off to another room for some alone time. I find visiting my OH's family exhausting by comparison - the expectation is much more that you sit around and chat and spend time with people. I find it quite hard. I sometimes stay upstairs after my toddler has fallen asleep to snatch some quiet time that way.

Love the idea of a little garden getaway. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now