Talk

Advanced search

Am I being a prude ?

(6 Posts)
Zombiemum1946 Fri 21-Oct-16 18:15:11

My lo (6yr) loves music especially little mix and Katy Perry. She wanted to watch them sing their new single. I felt pretty uncomfortable as they danced in what looked like underwear rubbing themselves all over in . Am I being a prude ? My eldest had no interest in music so it didn't cross my radar with him. So in vetting what my lo wanted to watch I was pretty taken aback at what I saw. Is it too much to expect that they wear more than a negligee and French knickers when performing before the 9pm watershed ? Growing up the worst I saw was Tight fit in mini skirts and maddona gyrating in tight jeans !!

Brontebiscuits Fri 21-Oct-16 18:24:43

I wouldn't like it either. I always tended to make remarks to my dd (who's now 11) about how women are made to look and perform right from her being little. (Although she has never been into pop music, hair/make up etc). I say it's not real and not how normal everyday girls need to look like. I always point out how ridiculous make up ads are too with their pretend 'vita-luminosity pro-bollocks'. Dd has healthy scepticism about that sort of stuff now. I do wear make up etc myself but I make it clear it doesn't change who you are inside and it's a choice to wear it not an obligation.

Zombiemum1946 Fri 21-Oct-16 19:19:08

It was so easy with the eldest as he really didn't give a stuff and at 13 is only just paing attention to his appearance. I rarely wear make up and my fashion, consists of pj's and weather appro clothing. I tend to guide her toward pretty which she loves and tell her that less is more with make up. I just wasn't expecting to have to try and explain why there were ladies dancing in their underwear on telly !!

IminaPickle Fri 21-Oct-16 19:22:45

Where is she seeing these videos? MTV etc. are not really suitable viewing for children. Maybe just stick to audio playlists b

Zombiemum1946 Fri 21-Oct-16 19:34:45

Brontebiscuits that's a good way of explaining it. I have encouraged her interest in nature and she loves making experiments with mud etc. Her Granny was very particular about her appearance and never went out without her makeup on. She died before lo was born so maybe there's more to genetics than I realised ! !!

Zombiemum1946 Fri 21-Oct-16 19:52:49

Imna it was a clip of x factor on the one show . She likes to watch music on YouTube which makes it a lot easier to sensor. I never put mtv on. We mostly put music on our phones , I thought it would be tame enough on the one show. They were asked about what they had worn one of them said it wasn't that bad as she had a shirt on and it gets hot dancing but her mate had plastic French knickers and a black lace negligee on rubbing her bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now