Found a bag of animal bones. Does anybody know what could be going on?

(5 Posts)
Thecontinualgardener Sun 16-Oct-16 18:58:35

I live surrounded by farm land and go for daily walk with my dog across some fields. He picked up the sent of something and was desperate to go into some bushes to investigate. It took me a couple of days to pluck up the courage to look to see what it was (bearing in mind the old saying that it's dog walkers who find bodies!!). Anyway, I discovered a black heavy duty polythene bag with about 6 bones in. My guess is they're likely sheep bones. There are some ribs anb other similar sized bones. I don't think they've been there long but have started to decompose.
It just seems very deliberate. Does anyone have any idea why they've been placed there. I've no idea about badger bating but wondered if this was part of the process. Also wondered if they're poisoned. The field in question has just had a flock of sheep move in and I know there have been fox attacks previously.
Any suggestions would be welcome :-)

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 16-Oct-16 19:01:30

illegal slaughter?
I would alert the farmer. maybe they had livestock going missing.

ClaudiaWankleman Sun 16-Oct-16 19:04:47

If there's any chance of them being anything other than animal then ring the police.

If they are definitely sheep and you are qualified to know that then get in touch with the farmer to confirm.

Coconutty Sun 16-Oct-16 19:09:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thecontinualgardener Mon 17-Oct-16 01:28:48

I'll ask the farmer if I can see him tomorrow. Wondering about badger baiting. It may be a badger would try to drag the bag back to it's nest leaving a smelly trail for a dog to follow. That's a complete guess though. Will let you know what the farmer says. Thanks for the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now