Wedding dress dilemma - any advice?

(19 Posts)
Daydreamer3 Wed 12-Oct-16 17:12:32

Hi,

So I've started looking for my wedding dress and completely confused myself. I have tried on about 30 dresses and almost instantly dismissed everyone other than one.

The dress i picked was different to what I initially set out to get however when I had it in total was about two hours (two try on's). I bought the dress off the peg.

My concern is I have been rethinking the dress since and I'm am getting close to the time I need to decide if I want to return it. When I tried the dress on it fit like a glove and gave the best shape, which I loved however I didn't feel like this is the dress for me and that I couldn't live without it. I'm now and again looking at other dresses online and I think one of my concerns may just be because it's different to what I had originally set out to get.

I am worried if I take back I might not find anything else (should also mention it's nearly half my budget!) that fits aswell or I like considering I have instantly dismissed all others and that the fact I had it on for so long counts for something. But why then am I deliberating so much- I am very indecisive by nature.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience when buying their dress? How did they feel did they just know it was the one? Should I hold out to find something else?!

Any help appreciated smile

MrsDc7 Wed 12-Oct-16 17:14:20

I set out to get a big fairytale princess dress... ended up with an off the peg fishtale dress. I was the same as you wondering if it was the right dress but I loved it after I'd had all the alterations done xx

Daydreamer3 Wed 12-Oct-16 17:14:53

Sorry should say when I tried the dress on I didn't think this was the one and have that crying moment you see on tv! Not that is wasn't the dress for me per se it just wasn't an instant lightbulb moment

Daydreamer3 Wed 12-Oct-16 17:15:50

Thank you Mrs Dc! I think I have put way to much pressure on myself x

Thumbcat Wed 12-Oct-16 17:27:38

It's a dress you'll wear on one day - lovely but no need for the big American style crying moment. If you like it better than all the others and it fits and looks good then I'd say you've cracked it.

minipie Wed 12-Oct-16 17:32:41

Yes very similar. I had a good idea of the sort of dress I wanted, lace bodice, little straps, maybe kind of 1930s bias cut shape.

Early on in the search I bought a very plain strapless effort in a sample sale for a bargain price, thinking I could always re sell if I found "the dress".

Many appointments later, I never did find "the dress" - turns out lace made me look frumpy and 1930s shaped dresses made me look short(er) and my bum look huge.

So I stuck with the plain one (with some alterations) which was definitely the right decision - I loved it in the end.

I'm not a crying moment sort of person, have never fallen in love instantly whether with a dress, a house or DH grin, so was not bothered about not having that moment.

minipie Wed 12-Oct-16 17:33:33

Yes very similar experience here. I had a good idea of the sort of dress I wanted, lace bodice, little straps, maybe kind of 1930s bias cut shape.

Early on in the search I bought a very plain strapless effort in a sample sale for a bargain price, thinking I could always re sell if I found "the dress".

Many appointments later, I never did find "the dress" - turns out lace made me look frumpy and 1930s shaped dresses made me look short(er) and my bum look huge.

So I stuck with the plain one (with some alterations) which was definitely the right decision - I loved it in the end.

I'm not a crying moment sort of person, have never fallen in love instantly whether with a dress, a house or DH grin, so was not bothered about not having that moment.

minipie Wed 12-Oct-16 17:33:59

Oops blush

MrsDc7 Wed 12-Oct-16 17:34:47

I tried on dresses that cost thousands of pounds (my actual dress didn't) and still didn't have that moment. It is only a dress at the end of the day! And that's coming from a very girly girl... if you don't like it then by all means change it, but if it's a case of you like it but just didn't have a OMG hysterical moment then i wouldn't let that put you off it xx

MrsDc7 Wed 12-Oct-16 17:35:21

I know what you mean though - so stressful xx

VikingVolva Wed 12-Oct-16 17:43:13

"I didn't think this was the one and have that crying moment you see on tv!"

In the nicest possible way, that's just not real, and so not something to expect or even to want.

Go and try on some more dresses! See if there is one you prefer. if there is, great. If there isn't you've already got a beautifully-fitting dress that you like well enough.

Lweji Wed 12-Oct-16 17:43:56

That crying moment is for very emotional people.
I'd never.

Mine was also different from what I dreamt from my late teenage years. I still love it (not to crying point) and would probably choose it again.
But, it's one day.

minipie Wed 12-Oct-16 17:52:27

I still remember the sales assistant in one wedding dress "salon" trying to get me to have a "crying moment"

She did this whole "close your eyes... imagine you're walking down the aisle.. your fiance is standing there... he gasps because you look so beautiful.. now open your eyes" thing.

It was hilarious grin

Diamondsandpears Wed 12-Oct-16 19:51:39

My DM.and the shop.owner both cried at one dress. I didn't get it!

Somerville Wed 12-Oct-16 19:56:33

God, I'm going to a bridal boutique tomorrow - if I get a sales assistant who does that spiel I'll cry with laughter, minipie.

OP if you've tried on 30 then unless they were very samey you know there isn't a better shape or style than the one you've chosen. You could perhaps try on a few more that are very similar to the one you've got your eye on to see if there is something you prefer.

Lucked Wed 12-Oct-16 19:58:57

The dress I ended up with was the second one I tried on and not what I expected at all, the shop assistant pulled it out, it did look different on compared to on the hanger and there was a slight wow moment but I thought that would happen lots.

I had wanted lace and vintage looking and I ended up sleek and glamorous.

Daydreamer3 Wed 12-Oct-16 21:55:18

Thanks so much all!

I'm so indecisive at the best of times don't know why I thought buying my wedding dress would be any different if not worse.

Yes I don't feel like I couldn't not get married in this dress and that I'm in love with it but I'm quite a rational buyer so pick everything and it's much better than the other 30 odd lol.

I wanted lace and very traditional and the dress is more sleek and glamorous as someone mentioned which is adding to the uncertainty about it I think.

Glad to see others are the same though and it's not all crying and instant love haha X

Daydreamer3 Wed 12-Oct-16 21:56:03

Pick at everything*

JoJoSM2 Sat 15-Oct-16 01:11:41

Remember that they main thing about your wedding day is getting married and not the dress... It seems to be getting all out of proportion in your anxious pre-wedding head...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now