Advanced search

Has anyone heard of "Proof of Life" or "Life Certificate"?

(9 Posts)
Kione Thu 15-Sep-16 09:41:59

I am not originally British but my DP is. We want to get married in my home town whilst on holiday next year.
My country's consulate has asked me to send the the above document as I can't go in person (way too far to travel and I am pregnant) so they can then send some other stuff.
I went to the GP and she had no idea what it was, she said she'd ask but I haven't heard back from her.
I contacted the local Civil Registry to ask if they know where I can get it, but they have no idea either.
I wonder if anyone here has heard of it?
Thanks a lot!

DerekSprechenZeDick Thu 15-Sep-16 09:42:55

Is that not just your birth certificate and they worded it differently?

Kione Thu 15-Sep-16 09:45:50

Nope. I have to present a recent birth certificate (which I have) as well as the above.

Minniemagoo Thu 15-Sep-16 09:58:42

Its usually something a pensioner would come accross. Some private pension companies require them to ensure the person they are paying out to is still alive.
It has to be signed by a trusted person so your GP could write one, she just has to say she met you, confirmed your ID amd yes you are still alive. It would requure a surgery stamp or similar.
If she is windy about providing it go to a solicitor.
Bring ID and they can write you one. Dont know how much they would charge.

Kione Thu 15-Sep-16 11:36:49

Yes I saw that online so I called the Pensions Department to see if they knew how to ask for it, again no idea.
I have contacted some solicitors, they've asked me to request the Consulate the exact wording. When I emailed the Consulate they replied it has to come from a doctor.
So I have found a template in my language, I will translate it to and go to the GP practice again.
Thanks for your replies.

fastdaytears Thu 15-Sep-16 11:38:44

It's definitely a thing in the context of pensioners and I sign them a lot as a solicitor. Not sure that sounds the same as what you've been asked for though

How odd!

Perfectlypurple Thu 15-Sep-16 11:39:59

We used to do this at the police station. It stopped for a while but I think they have started doing it again. I don't work in that department anymore. It may be worth popping into your local station that has an open front desk to ask. They would need photographic Id and the form in English. There may be a nominal charge.

Kione Thu 15-Sep-16 11:43:10

Thanks. I will do that if my doctor still doesn't want to do it on my second visit.
Charge is not a problem, we are bracing ourselves for a very expensive wedding - and that is just the trips, translations and requests of paperwork.

Kione Thu 15-Sep-16 11:45:28

fastdaytears it is a common thing in my country that just don't realize not all countries are the same! It is normally used (as seen online) when you sign up for a sport even such a long race, or an adventurous holiday, even driving licence. Just saying you are fit for those activities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now