Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Norfolk/Lincolnshire-what's it like?

(16 Posts)
icantthinkofamnusername Tue 23-Aug-16 13:16:08

My parents are moving to the Norfolk/Lincolshire area. The plan is to go with them. Thing is they've been to the area and love it. I haven't and am sitting on the fence on whether it's the right decision for us.

There's me and my 2 dd's. Dd1 is 6 and dd2 is 6 months. I've got the opportunity to buy something up there which is going to be a one time offer. So I'm after some helpful advice on the best places to look.

My parents suggest Kings Lynn or an hour max drive from there as that's where they want to head to.

What's the area like?
Where's good to go have a nose about for somewhere to live?

ButtMuncher Tue 23-Aug-16 13:27:51

I'm not a fan of KL, I think there are nicer places North Norfolk wise (especially near the coast) but I imagine they are more expensive, so it depends on how far your budget stretches. You've also got quite a few nice village areas around there, but again, I'm not sure on prices. However, I've not lived in KL, and I do know there have been massively redevelopments made to the area since I was younger.

If you've got an hours drive from KL, you can look into straying towards the north Cambridge villages (March, Ely although that is a city), parts of Suffolk or further towards Norfolk. With those parameters you've kind of got at least three counties you could feasibly move into!

I really recommend Norfolk as a place to live - although it gets stick for being off the beaten track (no motorways for instance) I really couldn't rate it highly enough - I've lived in four other counties too, and the only other place I'd consider living is Hope Valley (Derbyshire) or somewhere quiet in Scotland.

nennyrainbow Tue 23-Aug-16 13:30:13

Kings Lynn is a dive! Downham Market is much nicer.
Guess where I live?grin

NoFuchsGiven Tue 23-Aug-16 13:35:59

I have lived in Lincolnshire for 20 yeasr (moved from up north) and I love it, I dont really know KL or that area though so i'm not much help grin

usual Tue 23-Aug-16 13:41:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icantthinkofamnusername Tue 23-Aug-16 13:55:09

I've seen some in Downham Market within budget. So that could be likely.

usual Tue 23-Aug-16 13:58:08

usual Tue 23-Aug-16 13:58:53

juneau Tue 23-Aug-16 14:02:41

I grew up in N. Norfolk and generally speaking its an attractive place (though Kings Lynn isn't!). Its also expensive, full of holidaymakers in summer, and quite cut off with mainly busy, single-track roads. Whenever I go up there it seems to take ages to get anywhere, because in winter you get stuck behind a sugar beet lorry and in summer its a string of caravans.

Personally, if I had to move back, I'd move to somewhere within an easy drive of Norwich, particularly if I needed to look for work. The N. Norfolk coast is expensive and aside from pretty (and v. crowded in summer), towns there isn't much in terms in employment. Do you love the rural life? If so, then it could be for you. If not, head towards Norwich. The closer the better!

I don't know much about Lincolnshire. Its flat and there is lots of farmland for growing things like cabbages and sugar beet. Lincoln is a handsome (but quite small) city.

AppleMagic Tue 23-Aug-16 14:06:03

Are you thinking of Burnham Market usual?

juneau Tue 23-Aug-16 14:07:13

I think she must be - Downham Market is not posh! In fact, quite the opposite ...

nennyrainbow Tue 23-Aug-16 14:07:17

Will add to that now I've finished my lunch...

We love it here. You don't say where you are moving from, but I would say it suits countryside lovers best, although you can live in towns.

Pros:
Relatively empty roads, quick journey times compared with urban areas.
Flat landscape, far reaching views, beautiful sunsets. Something that really struck me when we moved here from suburbia.
Kings Lynn and Downham Market are on the direct train line into London (90 mins). Trains are every hour but due to be increasing to every half hour soon.
Cheap property and land prices. If you live outside of the towns, you can have a detached house, massive garden, chickens, pony etc and pretend to all your FB friends that you're Lady of the Manor for less than the price of a terraced house in the south.
Access to the coast in about half an hour. Some lovely beaches in North Norfolk although also very busy in summer and expensive to live there.
One of the sunniest and driest parts of Britain.

Cons:
Lack of good shops although the rise in Internet shopping has largely compensated for this. Kings Lynn has a good range of mid price ( Next, M&S, Debenhams etc) to lower price ( primark etc) shops. For John Lewis or posh brands, you need to go to Norwich or Cambridge.
A lot of people grow up here and never leave which means you will always be an outsider, even more so if you have a different accent.
Xenophobism is rife here, driven by the high number of East European immigrants. You wouldn't believe some of the racism I heard including from school children in the run up to the referendum.
Schools vary but generally not great. Seem to be quite a lot of secondaries in need of improvement. But you won't be needing those for a while.
Mud on the roads in the autumn and winter because of the tractors. Cars get filthy.
In summer, you get combine harvesters and crop sprayers driving at 20 mph along the single carriageway roads causing long queues of traffic behind. Usually on a sunny day.
Very limited public transport other than train. I think the bus goes from our village into Downham once or twice a day. Hard to get by here without a car.
Not much in the way of culture, theatre, galleries, music venues etc if that's your sort of thing.

usual Tue 23-Aug-16 14:07:39

nennyrainbow Tue 23-Aug-16 14:08:21

There is no Joules in Downham Market!! We have a Peacocks, that's all.

icantthinkofamnusername Tue 23-Aug-16 14:15:50

Ok could be looking for a more town setting.

nenny love the pros and cons list. Thank you.

nennyrainbow Tue 23-Aug-16 14:53:55

You're welcome! If you want any more info, just pm me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now