driving in france with a broken leg.

(8 Posts)
Humphrey2004 Sat 30-Jul-16 15:46:24

DH has broken his left leg. Its in a cast, he isn't taking pain killers other than nurofen for swelling. He drives an automatic car and insurance have said that he is covered to drive however does anyone know if he is legally allowed to drive in France?

Humphrey2004 Sat 30-Jul-16 17:31:00

am asking as we are meant to be driving to france and he was going to do most of it - he is still keen but I don't want us to be stopped and get in trouble because of French law despite us being ok in the UK?

Goingtobeawesome Sat 30-Jul-16 17:33:35

It seems ridiculous that someone can drive with a broken leg but then I don't have an automatic. I assume the leg needed for breaking isn't the broken one?

clearsommespace Sat 30-Jul-16 17:37:04

I am in France. A quick internet search tells me you can get fined 35 euro for driving an automatic car with left leg in plaster if the person who stops you deems you aren't able to react quickly enough. Same site says it is not however specifically forbidden by the French highway code.

clearsommespace Sat 30-Jul-16 17:37:45

Awesome, left leg doesn't do anything when you drive an automatic.

Humphrey2004 Sat 30-Jul-16 21:41:17

clearsommespace thankyou so much that's really helpful. Could you let me know what the website is? Awesome, it does sound odd but the left leg is redundant in an automatic.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 30-Jul-16 21:47:49

How long a drive are you doing op? I'm thinking that a long sit in the car with a leg in plaster is possibly a no go due to dvt risk?

clearsommespace Sun 31-Jul-16 01:46:38

I read it on droitissimo.fr
The gendarmerie web site says up to 150 euro fine but only mentions driving with an arm in plaster or a neck collar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now