Advanced search

I can't decide if I should go through with my planned boob op!

(9 Posts)
ejc1 Wed 08-Jun-16 11:01:09

I'm having a massive dilemma if I should cancel or go through with my breast implant op booked for 22nd June. I've been thinking about it for a long time but really am still undecided if it's the right thing to do.

I know the decision is ultimately mine, but it would be good to have some viewpoints. There are so many fors and againsts

In favour of having the op is:
After I've recovered etc, I'll probably love my new boobs and will wonder what all the fuss was about.
I'm worried that I'll regret not having it done and letting my fears stop me going for it.
Everyone i've spoken to who's had it done have said it's great/best thing they ever did etc.

I'm terrified of the operation. I'm a mother of 2 and I know loads of mums get it done but am I mad for willingly putting myself through a non necessary op with drugs/antibiotics etc and risks. Am I being irresponsible!?
I don't hate my breasts. They have always been small but after breastfeeding 2 kids they are deflated and much smaller. I'm not totally embarrased about them and they are not the worst breasts in the world.
I'm a bit of a feminist and deep down believe that women shouldn't have to alter their bodies and so what if my boobs aren't great - I've got 2 lovely kids who I fed etc etc
I like the rest of my body, we can't all be perfect all over.
I'm scared of the reaction from parents and IL's. which is ridiculous I know but my mum tutted at me for being vain when I had a spray tan for a wedding once!
What sort of example am I setting to my 2 girls? etc etc
I didn't used to like fake boobs (but I've come round to the idea and I think they will look nice compared to what I've got now)

Perhaps the fact that it's so hard to make a decision means that I don't want it badly enough. However, I'm a natural worrier so sometimes I do need to push myself in lfe to get over worries and if I gave in to all my worries I'd never end up doing anything!

I trust my surgeon, and it's not about money. My husband says he loves me the way I am but wouldn't obviously complain with a nice new set of boobs! I'm embarrassed to back out but that's the least of my concerns.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome.

SaveSomeSpendSome Wed 08-Jun-16 11:06:14

Im not sure what you should do but if your are unsure then i dont think you should go ahead.

You have to be really certain that its what you want and if your really unsure then it may not be right for you.

Why dont you buy some "chicken fillets" and wear them for afew weeks and see how you feel about having bigger boobs?

Couchpotato3 Wed 08-Jun-16 11:10:12

If you're not sure, don't do it. You can always change your mind later (lots of people do). Just don't leave it until the day to back out, because then you will be wasting a slot that someone else could take.

It doesn't sound as though you really want this, or that it would make all that much of a difference to your life. Bottom line - what if you developed a complication afterwards, would the risk be worth it for you to get new boobs?

clarrrp Wed 08-Jun-16 11:46:25

If you want it go for it.

No one else's opinion matters and screw this 'feminist' notion that women shouldn't 'have to' alter their bodies - you don't HAVE TO, you are CHOOSING to do it. For YOU. Surely that is what feminism is all about?

There are things to bear in mind - are you getting implants or just a lift? Either way you will have scars - will you be okay with that? You will need a couple of weeks to rest and recover and a sports bra will be your new best friend.

Also, if you get implants you will generally have to have them redone after about 10 years, so factor this in to the cost and long term planning.

Atenco Wed 08-Jun-16 11:56:12

Personally I think that life is too short to be having unnecessary surgery.

Hockeydude Wed 08-Jun-16 12:23:32

Your cons list is more extensive than your pros list.

Can you say exactly why you want this done?

ejc1 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:26:35

thanks all. As I was writing it I realised my cons were outnumbering the pros. I think the process of writing it down helped me to clarify. I do want it but not sure I want it badly enough to go under the knife.

3luckystars Wed 08-Jun-16 20:39:39

I would say to postpone it and see how you feel after Christmas. Surgeon will still be there.
Take your foot off the accelerator for a while and decide when you are sure.

EatsShitAndLeaves Wed 08-Jun-16 20:59:10

I had what could be politely called "ballerina boobs" no boobs until I had DS.

I was seriously considering implants.

I got pregnant- they got bigger and I assumed they would deflate after BF. Given I was an A cup to start - deflation was daunting wink.

Thing is - they didn't. They stayed a B cup - for about 5 years.

Now I'm a C cup and "naturally" the size I would have implanted.

Upshot is - do what you feel comfortable with. Though don't forget that your boobs will still continue to change post BF and children - in my case years after.

If you do go for it - make sure you don't end up looking like you have half a grapefruit superglued on your chestgrin

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now