Hive mind! Does anyone keep bees?

(9 Posts)
AddToBasket Wed 18-May-16 22:39:22

I'm getting bees.

Not quite yet, but they are coming. We joined the local beekeeping association six months ago. DH has been threatening to get some for a while but I have just taken the plunge, decided we are definitely going to do it and let the association know we're looking for a hive/colony.

I am so excited. grin Am I mad? Will I get stung?!

AddToBasket Thu 19-May-16 08:01:19

Morning bump

AddToBasket Thu 19-May-16 14:46:38

No-one?!

AddToBasket Thu 19-May-16 19:03:07

Really?!

mnaab Sun 22-May-16 23:08:25

I don't keep bees now but did a few years ago. I never got stung (well I was stung on my glove but didn't go through) but a lot of people do get stung.

PamelaPatricia Thu 02-Jun-16 07:47:20

My OH keeps bees and I help out occasionally. I'm no expert but would be happy to answer questions via DM. I've told OH to share her knowledge as I think it's important. People kindly gave their time, tips, and support when she was starting out and I think that should continue.

In my (limited) experience, you will be stung every now and then, but usually it is when the bees are upset - you expose them to the cold, you're taking too long to check the brood boxes, etc. - and you begin to gauge when they will cooperate and when they will become justifiably defensive.

MindfulBear Thu 30-Jun-16 15:18:24

Hello! Are you married to my OH?!
He joined the local beekeepers association 6 months ago and did a course. He just bought a hive and is about to join the local swarm alert list!!!!!

So, have you got any bees yet OP?

TheDrsDocMartens Thu 30-Jun-16 16:08:38

My husband keeps bees. I watch from a distance and sometimes sort honey.

Tryingtosaveup Sat 23-Jul-16 21:20:49

I am an experienced beekeeper and will answer questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now