Advanced search

Problem neighbours- What would you do?

(4 Posts)
oddsocks300 Tue 17-May-16 09:56:39

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place, so please move it if isn't not!

We live in a fairly new build estate, about 10 years old. The houses are all 3 or 4 bedrooms, they're houses for families. There's lots of kids, which mine play with. There's a few houses where they've got older kids, or their kids have flown the nest, but very few couples as they are big houses. Most of the homes are privately owned, a few are privately rented but are quite costly so they're all decent working folk round here.

On one side of us, there's a couple, probably early 40s. I make the effort to say hello, and on the surface they're nice. Their living room (we are in townhouses) is over the passageway that goes to about 8 houses. She screams (I've heard her) in a nasty way at the kids when they go through the passageway and says they're so noisy. We've told the kids they're not allowed to play under there, as fair enough, the scooter noises will magnify and be irritating. She whines about them making noise in their own gardens but that's just tough.

If it was just that, it would be fine. Yes she could ask nicely but we only moved last autumn so maybe she did start asking nicely a few years ago.

However... I find it very rich that she complains about kids who, by their very nature, are noisy. She has music very loud in the early hours of the morning, including karaoke at 2am (sounded like a strangled cat). She has pop music, he has loud duff duff duff music. I can hear it in our bedroom, through our our en suite even with the door closed. Also, they smoke cannabis which absolutely stinks.

What can I do? The noise is ridiculous and the cannabis smoking is foul. Do I ring police on 101? Or report to the council? I don't want them knowing its us, and I don't want them falling out with us because I think they're the sort that would make your life difficult if you made an enemy of them. Should I just ignore it?

IceMaiden73 Fri 20-May-16 06:38:40

You need to keep a log of events and then speak to the council

B1rdinthebush Fri 20-May-16 07:19:41

Most of the homes are privately owned, a few are privately rented but are quite costly so they're all decent working folk round here.

Well thank your lucky stars you haven't got any of those un-decent, non-working folk living next door confused

Upwiththelark53 Fri 20-May-16 07:37:45

The council will direct you to the relevant dept. You may have to speak to the dept of environment concerning the foul smell and the noise. But be prepared to be told to keep a diary. This in itself is time consuming and can up the stress levels by its nature. (Of being a constant reminder of the irritations you are experiencing)
Also be prepared for the council to suggest you have a word with them yourself before they (the council) become involved. If you don't want to The you should the council that you would prefer not to, as this action on your part will be a red flag as they will know who has reported their anti social behaviour should it come to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now