Talk

Advanced search

I'm learning to drive and very confuse by something, please help

(18 Posts)
twirlywoo69 Sun 08-May-16 07:06:05

I'm learning to drive and need some advice on something I am really confused about if possible. I've been taught how to start with biting point when setting off (accelerator part way down and clutch up half way so that the engine noise changes then handbreak and clutch up) I know how to do this but my question is, am I supposed to get/find biting point with both pedals every time I set off at junctions/traffic lights etc or can I just set some revs on accelerator and when I wanna move very slowly raise accelerator to top? I find that finding my biting point takes ages and if I need to move off quick I'm holding people up. Advice appreciated. smile

tribpot Sun 08-May-16 07:09:11

I drive an automatic now so I almost never have to do this, but finding clutch bite is (as I recall) only for hill starts, to stop you going backwards once you take the brake off. Certainly not needed on the flat.

LittleMissBossyBoots Sun 08-May-16 07:10:56

You do it every time but as you gain more experience you'll do it without even thinking about it very quickly. Same with gear changes.

DoreenLethal Sun 08-May-16 07:17:34

Learners finding the biting point has had other drivers held up for as long as there have been driving tests. It will become second nature but yes, it will only in reality be used on hill starts.

SprogletsMum Sun 08-May-16 07:21:13

I'm learning to drive now, I've had about 20 lessons so far and you really do learn to do it easily. On my third lesson I was getting a bit anxious that I'd never be able to do it bit my driving instructor said to me that it wouldn't be long and I'd just jump in and drive off like it's nothing, and now I do.
You don't have to put the handbrake on every time you stop though, only if you're on a hill or going to be waiting a while.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Sun 08-May-16 07:23:04

You do it every time but as you get familiar with the car and more experienced you can do it without much conscious thought!

BrandNewAndImproved Sun 08-May-16 07:29:54

Yes but like pp said you will forget about it and do it automatically.

Practising your clutch on a hill is great. My ex used to stand behind the car on a hill and make me use my clutch to go up.

All cars clutches are different. A diesel you won't need to use your accelerator to stop the car stalling ect, where as a petrol ka has a quick clutch so if you went into a higher gear to early you could put your foot on the accelerator more to make the car faster and not stall it. You couldn't do that with a diesel.

twirlywoo69 Sun 08-May-16 07:34:50

So if I'm only really using it on hill starts then when setting off at junctions do you just set the revs then raise the accelerator slowly so that you reach biting point and then keep raising it all continuously? Or do you hold the clutch steady at biting point?

hollinhurst84 Sun 08-May-16 07:37:18

I'm trying to think what I do! At a junction/traffic light my clutch is down when I'm stopped. Then clutch comes up as accelerator goes down and set off. Biting point more important for hill starts really

BrandNewAndImproved Sun 08-May-16 07:41:31

At a junction I have the break and the clutch down, when I go I lift the clutch a bit so I don't roll back and press down on the accelerator. In my car if I lift the clutch to high it will stall but the car you're learning on is probably a diesel and wouldn't.

If your handbrake is on you can find the biting point and rev it and then take your handbrake off. In time you can do the three simultaneously automatically.

Fairylea Sun 08-May-16 07:44:14

It becomes so automatic you don't actually think about what you do! I've been driving for 6 years and I'm struggling to think....! You do find the biting point every time you move the car but it's more of a fluid movement, transferring power from the clutch to the gas pedal - one foot comes up and the other down at the same time. You don't need to "hold" them in the same way as on a hill to ensure you don't roll backwards.

lornathewizzard Sun 08-May-16 07:45:38

It's the same clutch/accelerator process whenever you are starting from a standstill, in that you need to put clutch down to put it in gear, then release clutch and press accelerator to get going.
You can't just use the accelerator to get going, as if you have the car in first gear at a standstill, without your foot on the clutch it will stall the car.
You won't always use the handbrake but if you are stopping for any length of time you should.
Hope that makes sense. It really will become second nature. But also remember that stalling isn't a big deal. You'll get faster at dealing with that too.

lornathewizzard Sun 08-May-16 07:49:47

'fluid movement' describes it well.
It's the use of handbrake on a hill start that makes the difference I suppose, and having the clutch in position to go. It's just easier to do it without the complication of the hill!

ExtraHotLatteToGo Sun 08-May-16 07:54:35

You're over thinking it 💐

In no time at all it will be second nature and it won't even occur to you that's what you're doing. Honest.

Other than your lessons do you have anyone who can just take you out to practise?

I'm so glad I learnt & got my licence at 15 (another country) it's so much easier at that age when you know everything 😁

You'll be fine! 💐

JillianLovestheBeebs Sun 08-May-16 08:00:52

It's difficult to describe because it will vary according to the individual vehicle. But it will become second nature to you. It's sort of like trying to balance a cup of water diagonally so nothing spills out. All vehicles have slightly different amounts of water in, so they need tipping to different degrees. And it's hard to tell someone else the right angle. You work it out for yourself based on the way it feels to you. But when you have your own car, or your own cup of water, and you tip it up every day, you will be able to do it perfectly every time without spilling a drop.

PotatosMum Sun 08-May-16 08:01:09

I put the accelerator on just a little and raise the clutch until it bites. It's a bit fiddly at first as it's very easy to stall if you don't get the balance right and take the clutch off to quickly but it is an experience thing. In essence you are finding the biting point every time but at junctions you are doing it in a more fluid movement than you do when finding the biting point with the hand break on.

A good exercise you can ask your driving instructor to do with you is finding a deserted car park and getting you to drive very slowly using the clutch and accelerator to start and stop the car. This exercise should help you to understand how the balance effects the cars movement.

DubiousCredentials Sun 08-May-16 08:01:10

The only time you ever have to think about it once you are out driving all the time is when you get a new car as the clutch is always different to the one you had previously. Other than that it won't even enter your head. Just keep on doing what you are doing now and it will just happen.

Good luck.

YouMakeMyDreams Sun 08-May-16 08:03:11

Fairylea describes it well.
I'm effect yes everything you start you are doing the same thing but it is a more fluid movement
All the people saying as well that you won't use your handbrake at traffic lights and things well you probably won't but your driving instructor will probably be telling you to do that right now because that is safest but the reality is when your on your own you won't.
With the handbrake on at traffic lights that's a good time to set your biting point for when the lights change and your pulling away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now