Talk

Advanced search

Next Boy / girl baby clothes - what a refreshing change

(9 Posts)
April229 Thu 31-Mar-16 08:58:19

I know there has been many posts on here about the gender divide in baby clothes, but since having a baby girl I've found it so annoying that nearly every baby girl clothes collection is sooo pink! Boys seem to have a wider range of clothes (although mainly blue). But it doesn't end there, the themes of the clothes are so different - boys get robots, dinosaurs, whales, cars, buses and safari. Pretty cool. Girls get bunnies, and flowers almost exclusively. I've tried to mix it up a bit by buying a few 'boy' baby grows because I don't really want to give the message that before she can even say dinosaur she gets the idea that they are a boys thing. (Am I over exaggerating?)

Anyway - a recent trip to Next was the first time I have seen girls clothes that don't conform to this....girls clothes in ranges of blue, featuring sail boats, gardening, whales, dinosaurs and bikes, cars and buses. I don't normally shop there for baby clothes (she grows out of them so fast!) but this was such a refreshing change that she can wear these things and still dress in a girls range, just thought I'd pass it on.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 31-Mar-16 09:00:29

Next also have some fab patterns and unisex stuff. Luckily I have a Next outlet locally so can get it nice an cheap. It's last year's stock but who cares, pretty sure baby grows will still be in style. wink

kinkytoes Thu 31-Mar-16 09:02:03

It's a shame that the girls' section is twice the size as the boy's one though. I love Next for kids but the division is sadly not equal.

kinkytoes Thu 31-Mar-16 09:03:19

*boys'

Stupid autocorrect making me appear ignorant of punctuation rules!

Crumbles12 Thu 31-Mar-16 09:03:28

I agree!! We don't know the sex of DC2 yet but have been browsing through ranges in the shops and have been shocked that most have the baby blue shades with cars and trucks for boys and baby pink with 'mummy's princess' and tutus attached for girls, so stereotypical and as I'm not particularly girly or pink in how I dress if DC2 is a girl Id rather steer clear of all baby pink!

Another shop I found quite nice at the moment was M&S. A lot of the baby girls range was in Navy blues, peach, deep purples, red etc. and quite Classic in their designs which seems so refreshing after having just been to mothercare.

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 31-Mar-16 09:04:35

Whaaaaaaat! My experience is that boys clothes sections are about 5% what the girls are! Our local Sainsburys has 3 aisles of girls clothes 0-3 and half an aisle for boys.

I do agree though, all the girl stuff is so pink. Ugh. Most boys stuff is stripey though, which gets very old very fast.

I buy a lot of gender neutral stuff from Instagram retailers.

But back to the point, I do like Next and their girls stuff looks nice and bright and less pink too smile

Jenijena Thu 31-Mar-16 09:06:54

So I opened the next app on my phone, and babygros are still sorted in 'younger boy' and 'younger girl' so progress, but it's not complete yet...

I agree though, their baby wear washed and lasted well and came in colours other than pink/blue/beige...

liquidrevolution Thu 31-Mar-16 09:07:45

If you like bright colours then check out little bird at mothercare. DD lives in their stuff.

It gets harder as the babies grow. DD is nearly 2 and the bunnies/cats/flowers on stuff is increasing. I mix little bird and Boden with plain bright items from mothercare and John Lewis. H and m uses to be good but is now rubbish.

April229 Thu 31-Mar-16 10:20:33

Some great suggestions!

Love the little bird stuff, great shout -she's in a lovely red apple little vest from little bird as we speak.

Crumbles12 - don't even get me started on 'mummies little princess' !! Seriously, were are the baby grows that say 'Mummies Little Scientist / teacher / engineer' eh? A girls got to have a back up plan, right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now