message withdrawn

mummysurfer Tue 25-May-04 21:30:02

why not?
is my 'not very intelligent' response

twiglett Tue 25-May-04 21:35:31

message withdrawn

mummysurfer Tue 25-May-04 21:37:16

or distraction
'look there's a sheep, what's that doing there?' said in the middle of town centre. then when they want to see it you say 'oh no, it must ahve just been a shadow'

AlanP Wed 26-May-04 13:26:59

I've always said we take 18 months to teach children to speak and the next 18 years to get them to shut up

CookieMonster Wed 26-May-04 13:40:01

twiglett I have total sympathy ... dd is very much in the 'why' phase at the moment and it drives me up the wall. I answer as patiently as I can for as long as I can and then it's 'because it is' or 'I don't know' or something equally pathetic. She only does it to me, never to dh

Chinchilla Wed 26-May-04 18:56:29

I'm in the same boat...Aaaaaaaargh

BadHair Wed 26-May-04 19:04:48

I get the dreaded "whyyyyyyy?"s too. As soon as he says it I've started telling him that "Y is a crooked letter and you can't straighten it". That gives him something to think about.
My great-grandma used that one on all of all her great-grandchildren, and we've still never worked out what she was on about.

Angeliz Wed 26-May-04 19:07:10

me too!!(in the same boat)

WHY WHY WHY WHY???????????

At one point today i had to leave the room before i screamed,(and she was being good, just wouldn't take a breath!!!!!!!)

Flip Wed 26-May-04 19:09:14

I get the why none stop and then lots of weird questions.... "Is Jesus higher than space? " "What's gravity? "

And many more like it. I just say - "That wasn't on the mummy test, maybe it was on the daddy one. Ask him. "

Ds1 still believes that you have to pass a test to be a mum or a dad. If only!!!

SoupDragon Wed 26-May-04 19:57:04

I think the weird questions are worse than "why?". I didn't think anything could be worse but I was wrong!

Janstar Wed 26-May-04 19:59:52

My ds's favourite at the moment is to say 'what?' after everything you say. So your repeat yourself again and again and again.

throckenholt Thu 27-May-04 08:13:02

my nearly 3 year old is on the what and where phase (hasn't got to why yet).

where's daddy gone ? (as he walks out of the room)
where's granny ?
where's granny's house ?
where's that car going ?
where's daddy gone ?
what's that boy doing ?
what's that man doing ?
what's that apple doing ?
what's that apple ?
where's daddy gone ?
what's that book ?
what's that, that, that

16 month old twins are at the uhhh stage - said repeatedly and loudly while pointing at something they can't reach.

uuugggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: