Talk

Advanced search

FIL gift suggestions - 70th Birthday!

(14 Posts)
Flutterworc Fri 25-Mar-16 08:21:11

Hoping for some collective inspiration! FIL is 70 in July - lovely man, but a bugger to buy for! We want to buy him something meaningful, but are struggling to think of something appropriate. Things to bear in mind:
- he's very unassuming, so nothing 'flash y'all - doesn't wear cuff links/ties etc.
- doesn't drink and is diabetic
- loves his garden but has ALL the kit
- has iPhone/iPad and any other gadgets he thinks are useful
- previous gift successes have been a glasses case saying 'Grandad's Glasses' and a phone cover with a pic of him with our DS - £10 'stocking stuffer' type gifts
- isn't much of a clothes horse: despite a fairly good income (he still works part time at a well paid job), still wears the clothes he loves from the 80s, with the occasional addition of a jumper from MIL for Christmas.

hmm

Any amazing ideas, folks????

Jenijena Fri 25-Mar-16 08:22:59

We're in the same situation here. For his 60th we clubbed together and bought him a flying lesson, I suspect something similar this year...

QuerkyJo Fri 25-Mar-16 08:28:54

If he loves his garden, what about one of those bird boxes with a camera attachment that he could watch from the house. Or binoculars, or an insect hotel.

Flutterworc Fri 25-Mar-16 08:36:32

Ooo, nice idea with the bird cameras - he has binoculars and we bought him an insect hotel for Christmas, the thr bird box is going on the list!

AgentCooper Fri 25-Mar-16 08:38:37

Could you do him a nice photo book of pictures of his children and grandchildren? You can get lovely ones made up on the Blurt website.

Flutterworc Fri 25-Mar-16 08:41:42

Another goodie!

QuerkyJo Fri 25-Mar-16 09:04:18

Does he have a good comfy bench, chair or footstool for his garden? Does he need to upgrade his parasol or garden table and chairs? Do, they need new softer cushions? Or a new planter, with some garden vouchers.

My OH is 70 this year and would love anything to make his aching limbs more comfortable.

Chorltonswheelies422 Fri 25-Mar-16 09:07:35

I would go for an experience - if he loves birds , what about a day at a bird of prey centre where he can actually fly one?

Or anything he's always wanted to do or see - they make for real excitement and memories and great photo ops

Clayhead Fri 25-Mar-16 09:10:40

I did the photo book thing for my fil - scanned in loads of old pictures and so we had a record of the whole seventy years, he loved it.

mammmamia Fri 25-Mar-16 09:20:14

I got my dad a copy of the times from the day he was born in 1945 for his 70th. It was a fab gift.

Flutterworc Fri 25-Mar-16 09:24:55

Bench and newspaper on the list!

Flutterworc Fri 25-Mar-16 09:26:01

(Love the experience idea, but that's MILs go-to option, so he's done EVERYTHING...)

Jenijena Fri 25-Mar-16 10:02:36

that's the other thing we did - national geographic from the month of his birth.

Schoolchauffeur Fri 25-Mar-16 10:13:40

We have similar problems with our four parents all in 70s and 80s. Recent successes for us have included:
A night away in a city they've not been to. They like cathedrals so we've done Canterbury and York.
Tickets for Hampton Court Flower/Garden show
Voucher for afternoon tea at Ritz
London eye tickets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now