Talk

Advanced search

Why do we have to wait....

(5 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 06-Mar-16 09:39:56

... so long before the clocks go forward in the spring?

They go backwards eight weeks before the winte solstice, yet we have to wait 12 weeks before they go forwards in the spring. It is now fully light at 06:00 in the morning. In terms of daylight, we could move the clocks forward now...

Does anyone know why the extra wait in the spring?

UnmentionedElephantDildo Sun 06-Mar-16 14:00:07

I have no idea, but now you point it out I'd like to know if there's a reason. I find this time of year the hardest - because all the excitement of nights drawing in is long past, but it seems like an awfully long time until it's likely to be properly warm.

PsychoSid Sun 06-Mar-16 18:00:53

It's to do with the spring equinox. The days start to get longer anyway (the reverse in the autumn with the vernal equinox). The clocks were put forward an hour when we were mostly an agrarian culture so that there was more daylight to get the harvest in (incidentally, that's also the reason for the six week school summer holidays).

I have no idea how they decide which date for the clocks to actually go forward, though. It's probably to do with Easter!

ProfessorPreciseaBug Wed 09-Mar-16 07:09:21

Sid,
Yes it is a hangover from when we used to grow food. It is the inconsistancy that bothers me most. It was fully light at six today. As such there is no reason the clocks can't go forward now, (or two weks ago). But we have to wait....

I would like to understand why they go back 8 weeks before the shortest day and go forward 12 weeks after... If it is associated with daylight, they should go forward 8 weeks after the winter solstice.

YouMakeMyDreams Wed 09-Mar-16 07:18:08

It's not proper daylight in the north of Scotland at 6am yet. Every time this is discussed in parliament etc. One of the reasons for leaving it as is, is because the further up the country you go there is less and less daylight we would be in darkness for much longer if it was to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now