house buying + 'searches' - how long?(10 Posts)
Our most recent attempt at buying our first house seems to be going well . But, how long does it generally take a solicitor to do her/his stuff regarding searches and whatnot? The last buy we attempted seemed to drag out for an age and a day, but there were complications and it was hindered by the vendors/their solicitor to an extent too (they weren't forthcoming with necessary guarantee documents). So, we haven't really got anything to compare the current process to. What amount of time would you deem reasonable - providing no extra 'problems' turn up?
The amount of time that a search will take is rarely the fault of the solicitor. It is the local council which provides the search results, so, more often than not, it is the council's own procedures/staff which are at fault if the search is taking an inordinately long time. Of course, if it is *that* important and you are prepared to pay for it, you could ask your solicitor to do a personal search, which should produce an instantaneous result (unless it is actually your solicitor who is causing the delay).
as freckle says a personal search can speed things up, but it also comes down to the solicitors sense of urgency. I had an offer accpeted at £50k below asking price on a place on the condition that exchange took place within 48 hours which was done. Sometimes it can drag on and on unless both the purchaser and the vendor put pressure on their solicitors to keep things moving.
Wow, 48 hours. I guess you didn't do a survey?? A soliciter told me his record was 8 or 9 days from accepted offer to exchange, included a survey and all mortgage approval.
Searches are usually said to take 2 weeks or so... it's all the questions and guarantees that take loads of time. Having done all (or almost all) our own conveyancing selling the same house twice, it took 10 weeks first time, 3 months 2nd time, to get to exchange. The first sale got held up while buyer shopped around for a mortgage, and then we had to get confirmation from the council that we hadn't needed planning permission for the conservatory we built. The 2nd sale got held up because buyer was slow in deciding which soliciter, then in giving various assumrances to his mortgage lender (like proof of buildings insurance!). We exchanged without a deposit in the end, because it was the only way we could the completion date we wanted.
We our doing a cash purchase this time... DH is desperately hoping for an exchange ASAP, but it depends what weird things our soliciter finds (convenants, etc.) about the property.
Thanks for you replies . Everything else is in place (formal mortgage offer, insurances, surveys, etc!) so, with any luck, I don't suppose it should take too long! I think I'm just feeling a bit 'nesty' and in a hurry to have the place sorted out in preparation for DD 2 .
Sometimes I feel a bit cowtowed by the solicitor . We have only rung him once since hiring him, but felt we were being given the 'brush off'(ie. "I'LL call YOU when the searches are complete". His manner makes it easy to forget that WE'RE paying HIM to work for us! So, how to go about installing a sense of urgency in him, without bugging him to distraction, or being ignored completely?! (Just want to mention that when I called him originally for a quote, his attitude was naturally the height of enthusiasm and cordiality )
Courtesy costs nothing. However, if you were the 10th person that day who had called to chase something over which he has no control, then perhaps his attitude was a bit more understandable. Tbh, most conveyancing solicitors usually know someone in the council's search department, so he could ring to get an idea of what delay to expect. Are you moving locally? If not, then that might not be practical as he wouldn't have that sort of contact.
Thanks freckle . Yes, we are moving locally - well, it would still be in our solicitors local council area. I'll keep what you've said in mind . I suppose to top it all I'm a bit nervy after our recent bad experience! For which of course our current solicitor was not to blame - I think I'd better work on relaxing a bit about it all!
Can anyone help with some advice regarding local searches being wrong.
Found out after buying my house that there is going to be a bus lane running along the side of my house. Council have apologised and passed file on to their insurance.
Insurance company dont think there is no compensation to pay.
Please help as I am now in a house that I dont want to be in and have no option to move again! Who would want to buy my house now.
Hi Anita67 - you'd probably be better off starting your own thread with that in the title. Sorry, I don't know much about it so can't help, but hopefully that way someone will!
Join the discussion
Please login first.